1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I update to Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bobolink, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobolink

bobolink Thread Starter

I currently have Windows ME and my ISP recommended that I upgrade to XP professional. I know about the ME security issues, and is the main reason why I am considering this upgrade.

I am concerned about the upgrade and what it would do to existing software I have loaded on my computer. Should I unistall the software I have added before I upgrade? The Microsoft website makes everything so rosy... I have also been reading some of the threads of XP problems and it is a very intimidating prospect to consider.

Are there any words of advise or caution which could make this decision easier?

:confused:

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

I personally use XP. All of your programs will work, as there is is a thing called compatibility, which is built into XP, and allows you to run the program like it's in 98, so most likely all of your software will work.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Run the XP "Compatability Wizard" before you upgrade.

It should identify all issues, both hardware and software.

At worst you may have to reinstall some applications. I have upgraded several PCs, and it was fine each time. Remember to backup your data first, to be safe.

4. EvileYe

EvileYe

I have recently upgraded 2 home comps from Win98se to XPpro and in my opinion it's worth the upgrade. The networking was a breeze and I haven't come across any Hardware or Software that won't work. You may need to grab some updated drivers for whatever hardware your running/scanners/printers etc.

I would recommend a clean install of XP which would mean formatting the drive it is going to be installed on. I also elected to format and convert my drive to the ntfs file system and have no problems so far.

EvileYe.

5. twisted_mind

twisted_mind

I agree with EvileYe....A clean install would be the best way to start. i upgraded my win98se to XP Pro a couple of days back, and there were a bit too many problems. my network adapter had an IRQ problem( this is what i was told by my ISP tech). I formatted my C:\ and did a clean install.....n it just feels sooo right :)
    Go ahead n install XP.It's worth it....keep XP drivers for all ur hardware ready...incase u need them..anyways XP has a great driver set!

6. greengeek

greengeek

I also agree with a clean install. Most of the XP problems I get to fix are on machines that have just been upgraded, not clean installed.

7. bobolink

bobolink Thread Starter

Wow!!! Thanks for the input!!!

Sounds as though a clean installation is the way to go. Good! Where can I get the best and most instructive information for a fresh installation, such as this "XP Compatibility Wizard" Also, if I purchased OS XP should I buy the whole enchilada or the upgrade? Is Professional version better than Home or just different, how much does it matter? :)

8. boyoh53

boyoh53

:) We upgraded old computer to XP Home from 98.
    Word 97 was lost and also scanner. We were able to d/load drivers for the printer from a site, although not the printer site.
    I have mixed feelings about the upgrade.

Word 97 was pre-installed so it was lost. My son saved some schoolwork on floppy's, we had big problems trying to retrieve
    the info. :rolleyes:

9. boyoh53

boyoh53

twisted_ mind did you do a clean install with the XP upgrade disk. I often wonder can this be successfull. :confused:

10. bobolink

bobolink Thread Starter

OK... I am new to all this stuff. Thanks for your patience!

I'm just trying to stay ahead of the security breaches on my computer. I was recommended to upgrade Windows XP because it is more secure than Windows ME.

I have spybot, adaware, zone alarm, etc., but I would like specific information about compatibility, for example, will I have to upgrade Microsoft Works Suite 2000 to a higher version. I went to the Microsoft site but didn't find any thing about compatibility in this area. Can anyone give me info on this Compatibility Wizard mentioned earlier. In meantime, I'll revisit Microsoft...

Do I need to do clean install with the full version of XP or can I save some $$ and headache with simpler upgrade? If people are recommending that I do a full install, is there good source information that can answer my questions??? :cool:

11. Flrman1

Flrman1

12. Flrman1

Flrman1

You can do a clean install with the upgrade version also. You will have to have a copy of the ME installation CD to do the upgrade if you do a clean install.

13. bobolink

bobolink Thread Starter

:D Thanks again, flrman1

I do have the ME CD! Amazing! The Microsoft site is not very easy to navigate regarding software compatibility!

I'll check out the blackviper site in the meantime... if there are any questions... (I hope I am not too troublesome) I'll get back to you. :) thanks a million thanks!!

14. Flrman1

Flrman1

15. greengeek

greengeek

I use Office 2000 on XP so I presume Works Suite 2000 should also work ok.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice