1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SHOULD I UPGRADE: 40GB/5200 HardDrive-to-60GB/7200 HardDrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

I presently have a 40GB....5200RPM...2MBcashe..HARD DRIVE

Will i see much improvement upgrading to a: 60GB.7200rpm..8MBcashe Hard Drive?

I can do it for about $40 ( Or should i wait,i expect to get a 200HD by the end of the year...)

2. Sponsor

3. WarC

WarC

Because of the RPM speed and cache difference, you would probably notice a slight increase in bootup time and how long it takes to access the drive. Overall the difference wouldn't be that great, though. The new drive will also probably quieter.

For $40, 20 extra gigabytes of space on a faster, newer harddrive isn't that bad of a deal!

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There was recently a deal on one of the bargain sites for an 80gig 7200 RPM 8mb cache drive for $19.95 after rebate. I don't view $40 for an extra 20gigs to be much of a bargain. :rolleyes:

Try these sites and get yourself a real deal on the new hard disk.

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

5. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

the only rebates i trust are from staples. one can do them online,its user friendly,and they arrive in about 21 days.

i will check those sites though

6. JohnWill

You're entitled to your opinion, but I've redeemed several hundred rebates, and I've only been unsuccessful at getting two of them. Anytime I can get a 99% return on them, it's good enough for me.

7. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i have heard/read many hazzle stories on rebates. the business idea behind rebates is more than 50% of people will not send them in.

i understand bestbuy is going to an online rebate system in 10 months

8. JohnWill

You're exactly right, if you don't send the rebate in, you won't get it! I hope that doesn't come as a surprise. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369057