1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I upgrade from Win98 to WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coov8, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coov8

coov8 Thread Starter

I have a Pentium II 350 Dell running Win98 w/ 96 MB RAM.
    I am finally giving up on all other courses of action, and am going to re-format my hard drive, and then re-install Windows 98, and add my programs and then share/freeware apps, one by one.
    But, should I reformat the drive and then do a fresh install of WinXP? Or should I do the fresh install of Win98, then upgrade to WinXP before I load any programs?
    Thanks very much!!
    Michelle [email protected]

2. phrozenmayhem

phrozenmayhem

I'd format and install a clean copy on the system. However, I recommend, (strongly recommend) you get a faster computer with at least (LEAST) 256mb ram. At the very least get a PIII 700 or more with 384 or more ram. It makes a BIG difference.

Microsoft says you need:
    PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended;
    Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
    128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
    1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
    Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
    CD-ROM or DVD drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

But they BS. If you wanna wait an hour to open a file, go ahead and follow their sys reqs. But on your pc, for now, i'd stick with win98.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!