1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I upgrade my Dell Optiplex 755 MT or Biostar N68s3b

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robirocz28, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robirocz28

robirocz28 Thread Starter

I currently have 2 Computers I am looking at for upgrades. Computer #1 is a dell optiplex 755 Mini Tower with a 305 psu and lga 775 socket.Computer #2 is a Biostar N68S3B v 6.1 MoBo with a AM3 socket rated at 95 w tdp.o in a Thermal Take Tower with a 450w psu. Both computers allow a maximum 8gb Ram but The Dell (comp#1) ram has 4 ddr2 slots and the Biostar (comp #2) has only 2 slots but there ddr3. I beleive the best Cpu for the dell is a core2 quad Q9650 and the best cpu for the biostar was harder to determine, the most powerful that i can confirm that i have seen is the phenom II x4 945 @ 95w. What id like to know is what are the top 3 cpu's for both the dell and the biostar, and once upgraded to most powerful cpu's which computer will be better for gaming and overall performance. From what i have read up, it seems the dell has a better top cpu, but had worse ram with only ddr2. I have a hp oem rx 460 gpu on its way and looking to buy the best cpu for either the Dell Optiplex 755 (Mini Tower) or The Biostar N68S3B to create a Budget Gaming Machine. Biostar's motherboard web site seems dated and doesnt match up to alot of the forums i Have read. So if anyone can post top 3 cpu's for each computer and which computer will out perform the other (once there upgraded with the best cpu for there model) given the fact the dell has older ddr2 ram. P.s. Please dont just tell me to invest in new computer, Thanks for your time...

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

Besides both of those computers having very old technology, both of the processors you're considering upgrading to don't have the "horsepower" for quality gaming.

You can't make a family car run like a pro racing car. :oops:

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    It is contraindicated to upgrade them. I suggest eRecycling both after pulling their respective hard disks.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Actually, old CPU's don't cost very much, and can be bought from Ebay. Just remember to check the AMD cpu model you need carefully, because they have several different ones named similarly.

As to gaming. The expectations of what is a 'good enough' gaming experience varies. And you are already aware that this will be a budget gaming machine.

5. robirocz28

Im aware its out dated, But i already have them and all the cpu's i looked at i can get used for only 20-50$, I picked up both for free to tinker with just to see what i can get out of them i also picked up a new hp oem rx 460 gpu cause there being sold for 50$ new with the code OZTALKS on e-bay. but cpu's for the biostar is very confusing. But from what i read is i should still be able to play a fair amount of games still with both the q9650 and the phenom II x4 945 as long as its accompanied with a decent GPU. Over all the Dell looks to have stronger cpu options but it only has ddr2 where as the biostar has ddr3 and i believe the biostar also has better sata speeds. on biostar site it says i can run phenom II x4 processors with a "recommended" 95w tdp, on AMD site i found other Phenom II x4 cpus @ 95w tdp that are ranked above the phenom II x4 955 ,but there not listed on Biostar site (maybe they just have not updated there cpu list for my mother board.... As for the Dell, It has the Q35 chipset so i cant use the modded xeon 5xxx series But i can use the modded xeon 3xxx series (but not worth it cause q9650 is better then any xeon 3xxx series) Another thing i noticed is that my biostar n68s3b ver 6.1 only has 2 sata connections. does this mean im limited to 1 sdd and 1dvd rw drive cause id like to run 1 sdd and 1 hdd for extended storage and 1 dvd rw drive but dont know how to connect 3 with only 2 sata ports.

6. robirocz28

I should note that id like to play games but not gonna buy a new computer to do so, So out of the 2 computers i have, Dell optiplex 755 (mini tower, 775 Socket) 305w psu and Q35 chipset or the biostar N68S3B ver 6.1 with 405w psu (AM3 Socket). which one would have better over all game compatibility once upgraded with best processor available. My goal is to get 1 of these 2 computers running at the top of ITS class. I know the Dells best cpu for my computer is the Q9650 (unless anyone knows of a better COMPATIBLE cpu) but what is the best possible cpu for the biostar, is it the Phenom II x4 945 as menioned above or is the phenom II x4 955/965 a better alternative to the 945. And once both computers are updated with best possible cpu's which computer would have better overall performance since dell has only ddr2 ram and biostar has ddr3, both max out at 8 gb.... p.s. i know there older computers and most would say just to get a new one for games but like i said my goal is to get 1 of these to reach ITS maximum potential and be as game compatible as IT can be.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that motherboard's processor support section, the AMD Phenom II X4 955 (95W model) is the fastest processor it supports.

The AMD Radeon Rx 460 graphic card is a decent performing one for gaming, but its full potential will probably be handicapped by those old Intel and AMD processors.

You already said that you refuse to switch to a newer and faster model computer, so I have no further advice for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. robirocz28

thanks for your reply, funny thing is i only got into computers about 2 months ago and ive seen you in a few posts ive read on my journey to figuring out computers. on biostar web site it shows a 955 but amd web site shows phenom II x4 go up to 965, there are also differnt versions with in like 955 has a 95w version and a 125w version.,, Also my biostar has 2 ddr3 ram slots as opposed to the dells 4 ddr2 slots, both max out at 8gb. the biostar only has 2 sata ports compared to the 5 that dell has. so for example if the dell has a better cpu then the biostar would the fact that the biostar has ddr3 ram off set the shortfallings of its cpu and weigh in on final decision. Also is there a way to connect more to biostar, for example right now 1 sata port is being used by dvd rw drive and the 2nd sata port is being used by sdd. is there another way i can connect another dvd drive or a second hdd/ssd drive to a different port or maybe some sort of splitter...Thanks for your time

9. robirocz28

its not that i refuse, its that im using these to learn, im messing with hardware soft ware and even soldering new capacitors, im not trying to do these things for 1st time on a brand new 2,000$ computer, I also got 5 of each for free, so i was gonna update them as best i can for cheap and donate them to boys and girls club.. CPU's are fairly cheap for these and id rather put 20$ into them and have them run some of the possible games and have kids play on em. maybe they cant play fallout 76, but if the can only play 25% of the games out thats better then tossing them into the dumpster. Im also planning on tryiong out pentesting and dont want to do that with an expensive new computer....P.s. im new to site how do i mark "Answered" on these forums

10. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    OK then. I have upgraded a Dell Optiplex 755.
    • WinXP ==> Win7 Pro
    • BIOS A22
    • SATA II DVD/RW
    • SATA II 320GB spindle drive
    • 4GB PC2-6400
    • ATI Radeon 2400 with Y-adapter VGA or DVI for dual monitors
    • Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 2.66GHz
    If you can get a 3Ghz CPU then get that.

11. robirocz28

Does the Dell have sata II ports or are they only Sata 1. I know they will work cause there backwards compatible but will the dell mother board run at sata II speeds, Right now i have a core 2 duo e7500 im probably gonna run a core 2 QUAD 9650.

12. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    It is a SATA II based system.

The system does support the Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q9650, 3GHz, CPU and should perform better than the CPU I used.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Personally, I would use the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz instead of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00 GHz.

Besides that processor using less power and producing less heat, the performance scores of both processors are pretty much the same.

--------------------------------------------------------------

robirocz28 likes this.
  14. lynx1021

lynx1021

You got to make sure you have the heat pipe heat sink in your Dell before putting in a quad 5315_J9761_jpg-550x550.jpg My original heat sink in my dell was just a block of aluminum with some fins on it.

robirocz28 likes this.
  15. robirocz28

So i went ahead and ordered a core2 quad q9650 for the dell 755 mt, And im still thinking of getting a phenom II x4 960t @95w for the biostar n68s3b. As for the dell heat sink is it necessary to upgrade the heat sink or will stock work if i add an extra fan or 2. I also have an optiplex gx620 sff that i can pull the heat sink from, the gx 620 is not a solid block it looks more like the one lynx1021 posted a pic of. Im still undecided as which one to use as my computer and which to give away. The pro's of the dell 755 mt is i have all the spare parts i need and it has 5 sataII ports and 2 dvd-rw drives and a floppy drive, but only supports ddr2 ram upto 8gb's and only has a 305w psu, the pros of the Biostar N68s3b Is that its in a Thermal Take Case, it has a 450w thermaltake psu, and it has ddr3 ram. I beleive i can pull the dell motherboard and put it into the thermal take Tower and i can swap the 450w PSU, also the dell with q9650 cpu has 12 mb L2 cache and a bus speed of 1333 mhz where as the biostar with the 960t cpu only has
    Level 1 cache size ? 4 x 64 KB 2-way set associative instruction caches
    4 x 64 KB 2-way set associative data caches
    Level 2 cache size ? 4 x 512 KB 16-way set associative exclusive caches
    Level 3 cache size
    Shared 6 MB 48-way set associative cache and 2000mhz bus speed. here are the cpu specs pages on both.

Biostar N68s3b CPU 960T specs:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition - HD96ZTWFK4DGR.html

and the Dell Optiplex 755 MT with CPU q9650 specs:
    https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...or-q9650-12m-cache-3-00-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

Which would be better Overall? And which would be better for gaming?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice