Should I upgrade my system with pcie card and nvme?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BrettH

Here is my system stats
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200630174740.000000-420

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8

Total Physical RAM: 24 GB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, 512 MB

Hard Drives: C: 909 GB (451 GB Free); 7200 rpm

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z87X-UD5H-CF, ver x.x, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To be filled by O.E.M.

Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

the mobo has the following with graphics card in this slot 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots

Think of adding a pcie card with nvme, am I throwing money at a lost cause? Also any recommendation for used video card upgrade? FWIW I have a large atx case.

Thanks

1 x PCI slot

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You should switch to a better performing graphics card and switch to a solid state drive(SSD) and get rid of Norton Security.

That NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS is a very old model and a very weak performer.

A SSD will make your computer faster and more snappier than a hard disk drive(HDD) will.

Windows 10 has less issues when using its own built-in antivirus app (Windows Security aka Windows Defender).

-------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts