1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I upgrade to N Dual-Band? Which N router should I get if so?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lawrencese, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawrencese

lawrencese Thread Starter

Hello, I currently have a wireless WRT54G router in my home. I have a laptop wirelessly connected, one computer wired, and three more wirelessly connected, all with G adapters ATM. So that is a total of 5 computers wireless and one wired.

I was thinking about as a Christmas present for myself upgrading to the new N networking. However, I would keep all the G adapters, except for one, which I would put into the laptop. Do you think I would see an increase in speed in the N laptop?

Also, I am using Comcast High Speed Internet. Do you think I should get the Dual-Band N Wireless Router, or the Ultra RangePlus Wireless N Router? I am not sure how the 5 gig band works, or what it is exactly, but I thought it would be nice to have for the future? IDK? Also what about the 310N router? Just a thought. Thanks!

What do you think I should do in my situation? Thanks. Please feel free to ask me any questions!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Until you're ready to do a conversion of most of the 802.11g devices, you're most likely wasting your money. With an 802.11g device connected, the router will be running at the same speed as your old one.

Save your money.

3. lawrencese

What if I have both the G and N routers hooked up?

Can I connect the one computer with N adapter to the N router, and the rest to the G router?

Then would I see a speed increase in the N adaptered computer?

4. JohnWill

Yes, you can have one of the routers configured as a WAP and have two connections. If you just connect 802.11n devices to the 802.11n router, you'll experience the increased speed.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

5. lawrencese

Ok, so I can use the N router as the main router, and put the internet from the modem there. And then should I just connect the other G router to it from one of the ports?

Still a question, which N router do you think I should get from the following: WRT160N, WRT610N, or WRT310N? All Linksys. Thanks!

6. Jason08

Jason08

Hooking up 2 routers might not be a good thing if you plan on opening ports. You would end up having what's called "double NAT." With just one router, you usually only have a single NAT, and that would mean to open ports for anything you would log into the router and open them. But it gets much more complex to open ports with double NAT.

7. JohnWill

You need to read my post again, the configuration eliminates the second NAT layer. Please try not to confuse the poor guy, I'm not steering him wrong. ;)

8. lawrencese

Haa thankss :)
    I think I am just going to stick with G for now, because Comcast doesn't provide that much speed anywayyz... So I think for web browsing and stuff I have the fastest speed now, anyway, i have had this network set up for 2 yearss and it all still works like brand new!

9. JohnWill

That would be my course of action. I have a couple of 802.11n devices here, and my routers are 802.11n, but my main two wireless machines are still 802.11g equipped.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!