Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I upgrade to Win10?

Solved 
1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
I have an older laptop (probably 6-7 years old, Dell Inspiron running Windows 7) and its been running fairly slow lately. I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free. Just looking for some good advice on whether or not I should even consider upgrading.

My first thought is that, with an older machine, I probably have a lot of junk on my hard drive causing the slowness so I need to clean it up (which means I'll miss the "today is the last day" bit...but do I really care?). I also think maybe my processor won't be able to handle the new version, but not sure if that's really a concern or not.

Can I ask for some advice? Thanks :)

#2 ·
I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free.
it not - July 2016 is
whats the exact model and also the service tag number
make sure there are windows 10 drivers available for the PC

you could always make a recovery set of DVDs (if you havent already , and i would advise you make them anyway) and do a windows 7 clean install

you may have a lot of startups or even malware on the PC slowing it down

#3 · (Edited)
I have an older laptop (probably 6-7 years old, Dell Inspiron running Windows 7)
What's the model number of that Dell Inspiron laptop?
What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?
Do you live in the U.S.A. or elsewhere?
I probably have a lot of junk on my hard drive causing the slowness so I need to clean it up
After 6 - 7 years of accumulating junk and issues, a clean reinstall of Windows 7 may be what it needs.
Doing that will give it a fresh start and breathe new life in it.
I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free
The end of July 2016 is the expiration period for obtaining the free Windows 10 upgrade.
I doubt though if Dell tested your laptop for the Windows 10 upgrade and has device drivers for it.

------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
How do I find the service tag number and express service code?
should be written on a label on the PC
or
Model:

* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
* Type, wmic computersystem get model
* Press Enter

Dell Service TAG

* Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
* Type, wmic bios get serialnumber
* Press Enter

#8 ·
Here is the support site that's assigned only to your Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
It shipped in March 2010 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

As you can see, it has not been tested for the Windows 10 upgrade.

It came with 4 GB of DDR2-800 RAM.
It supports 8 GB, so you might consider maxing it out.
Adding more RAM should improve overall speed and "snappiness".

----------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
Thanks, Frank. I see the rest of your comments now. I think I'm not as concerned about upgrading to Win10 as I am about doing what you suggested with cleaning it up and refreshing Win7. After reading your comments, I think I'm not really looking for the latest and greatest, but more of making this thing run better. :)

Should I hop over to one of the other threads?

#12 ·
#13 ·
If you're not able to create a recovery disc kit in your laptop, and if Dell customer service is not able to provide you with one, you should be able to purchase one here.
Navigate through the menu as you see in the thumbnail image, then follow the instructions.
If you have any questions, you can call first.

Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot Parallel

---------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
I have 10 running on a 1545, apart from BlueTooth (which you may not have on yours) I had no problems with drivers for 10 although different wireless cards have been used in this model so yours might be different than mine.

You do have the option of upgrading to 10 from your present 7 then doing a clean install of 10.

I've upgraded the Wireless card, Cpu and Ram in mine, if you're interested in trying any of that let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.