1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should i upgrade to Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Marcozzi, Jan 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marcozzi

Marcozzi Thread Starter

As the title suggests I am wondering if it is worth upgrading to Windows 10, I am currently running Windows 7.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The answer depends on the following
    1. Will your computer run windows 10
    If you are not sure send me a copy of the info in the white box when you run this - our system information utility
    https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

2. Windows 7 goes end of life in January 2020
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020
    That does not mean it will stop working
    However you will not from that date receive any updates for Windows, or indeed any security updates.
    Therefore security to some extent will be weakened.

3. As has happened with XP you can expect that within a few years - I do not know how many - software and programs for 7 will gradually unavailable, as the decline of 7 will make it uneconomical for them to be written for 7.
    An example would be new games.

4. If you are considering it having found out if your computer will run 10, you need to do it sooner rather than later
    At this time, as far as I know, the upgrade is still free. How long that will last I have no idea.

5. The free upgrade requires you to have a Windows 7 product key and that product key to match the current installation of 7.

When you reply please type in box that appears after my post, not by clicking reply on my post, as that will quote all of this back to me.

3. Marcozzi

Marcozzi Thread Starter

Here is the my hardware info:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8066 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 111 GB (26 GB Free); E: 931 GB (836 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z97X-UD5H
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Enabled and Updated

4. Macboatmaster

Marcozzi
    Yes it will run 10
    Please confirm as mentioned - point 5 on my first reply

5. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Another consideration involves what you want to use your computer for.
    Linux offers options, but if you need to use software with no Linux equivalent, MS Windows is still for you and Win 10 is the next in line for serious consideration.

Because of software considerations, I will always be using Win 7 on a standalone computer, but for Internet connectivity, I boot Puppy Linux on a computer ...... 3.3 ghz I5 with 8gb memory.
    I need Win 7 but I do not want nor have any use for Win 10.
    But that's me.
    It's what you need that's important to you and reality.......Linux isn't for everyone.

But it's a growing option for many dissatisfied MS users.

6. Marcozzi

Marcozzi Thread Starter

I do have my product key, but what benefits would the new OS have in regards to performance and functionality.

I have used Linux on a server before and I never liked it. I'll always use Windows.

7. Macboatmaster

The main benefit is the service life.
    There is no indication at this time that Windows 10 providing it is updated with new versions as they become available, will EVER go end of life.
    It does take some getting used to and depending on which version of Office if any you have on your computer, it MAY nor run on 10.

The other benefit is as I said, in respect of 7, end of life next year no security updates.

It all depends on what you use the computer for as to if you will benefit from 10.
    I like it and it is despite some problems, with updates = becoming more reliable.
    I have never had a problem for two years.

The way to go maybe to image completely your present system. OR to clone it to another drive
    So that you can go back if you do not like it
    OR indeed continue to run 7 until you decide to move to 10, after end of life.

You then upgrade the present system to 10 and once it is activated on the Microsoft servers, you can then revert to 7 BUT NOT with 10 installed
    and then go back to 10 when you wish

EVEN if you were not going this route, you should NOT make the upgrade without a full image, in case it goes wrong.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  8. Marcozzi

Marcozzi Thread Starter

Computer is just used for everyday normal things like browsing and the occasional gaming. Is there any special features to Windows 10 that make it worthwhile ?

9. Macboatmaster

10. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you are not quite sure about it you can either partition your HDD and install W10 on the second partition or remove your W7 HDD from your computer and install a new or used HDD to your computer and install Windows 10 on it. If later on you decide you don't like W10 then you can either delete the partition of W10 or swap the HDD back to the previous version of W7.

11. Macboatmaster

Yes indeed
    - the best way
    texasbullet
    I do not think you can install 10 on a second partition WITH 7 on the other partition
    At least not on the free upgrade, as the licence for 7 is surrendered by the upgrade to 10 WHLST 10 is on the computer
    Therefore a dual boot, which is what I think you are suggesting, cannot IMHO work, insofar as relates to a free upgrade activated 10
    Of course I will stand corrected

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  12. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I have done it in my computer and it worked. Unfortunately my computer was not compatible and I just deleted the partition.

13. Macboatmaster

OK
    It is new information to me
    I do appreciate that you can install 10 on another partition, as a install on that partition.
    I did not know, as I said that you can UPGRADE 7 to 10 and KEEP both OS, which is what I said
    I always thought as Microsoft said

I have learnt something new.?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice