should i upgrade to x64?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RedWizard

recently i have been considering upgrading to windows x64.

i have a dual core 2.8 ghz intel 64 bit processor.

do you think that x64 offers any practical advantages? will windows actually run faster using x64?

i realize there is a limited recourse of applications that actually take advantage of x64 bit processing; however i'd appreciate some of your opinions.

do you think that photo editing and other windows functions will benefit from having a 64 bit OS?

apps i frequently use: photoshop cs, dreamweaver, oblivion, doom3, media editing

brief system specs: 2 gig ddr, 2.8 dual core 64, 7300 512 GT pciE

thanks

any info would be nice

sincerely

-mike

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I think you'll be hard pressed to notice the performance difference, but you'll certainly notice the lack of drivers and a number of applications will not be compatible as well.

The applications would also have to be written for 64 bit in order to take advantage, not just the OS. Another words to take full advantage you would need to buy 64 bit programs as well to get "full" advantage. Most don't even have 64 bit programs out due to the fact 64bit is not really making to much headway at this point in time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online