Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Should I use Comcast's wifi router/modem over my own?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Gr3iz 
#1 ·
So Comcast wants me to use their high speed router/modem but the Linksys router I have (plus their modem) has been working quite well for many years.

They promise my speeds will be higher. Right now I'm at 54 Mbps. No problem here, if it ain't broke...

Should I just install it?

#2 ·
That would be on wireless and probably "G" which is the max speed
You probably would get more speed if the wireless adapter in the PC is a later version
if thats also "G" then wont make any difference

if your able to do everything you want - then keep it as is - if thats what you prefer
But I also suspect , if there is an issue , they will not support your kit and want there modem/router connected

Cant see it will do any harm to change anyway

#3 ·
Are they wanting you to pay extra for their wireless router? If yours is working to your satisfaction as it is, and they want to charge you extra, I personally would say no.

#4 · (Edited)
What is the exact model of your Linksys? What's the exact model of the Comcast router? And what speeds are you paying for with Comcast? If your router is only a 54mbps and your speeds are close or faster then than that your router will limit your internet service. Also, do they give you the option of not taking their router? If it's a modem/router combo or if you have phone or IPTV service then you must use their router. Also a wireless G router is very old and may affect performance even with lower speeds, Wireless-N and Wireless-AC routers are significantly faster.

#5 ·
Comcast does charge a monthly equipment rental fee. They were getting $7/month for my modem until I bought my own, which was *much* faster than the one they had me using. I prefer a separate router, personally.

#7 ·
True, if you have their VoIP phone option, you do need to use their modem/router unit. Another reason not to go that route for me ... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.