1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should I use it for Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by TheReaper, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheReaper

TheReaper Thread Starter

I have an old 1998 Dell that I could use to install Linux on, you know, something to play around with. What version of Linux would work with 6GB HD space, 60MB of memory, a floppy and cd drive, internet connection and all that stuff, and what would be most fun to play with and most easy to use. I would appreciate it if you could tell me where I can find some documentation too, thx a lot! ;)

2. Xephar

Xephar

I had Linux Mandrake 9 running on a Pentium 166 with 64 MB of ram once... It worked quite well. I am still a linux noob though so don't take my word for it, but I think you would be fine with Mandrake, Fedora or SuSE. Each of those have an easy installer or so I am told.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have run Red hat 9 on a Pentium 200 with 40mb of ram.

4. short101

short101

You could probably run any linux distro, its the window managers and programs that you run that will give you problems with that amount of ram, and processor. Just use light a window manager and get used to the command line instead of gui's. You'll might have a hard time getting your modem working though. Google "newbie best linux distro" and you will find lots of threads on that sort of question.

5. tdi_veedub

tdi_veedub

Or use an older version of a distro.

For instance, instead of using RedHat 9, try Redhat 7, or mandrake 7.

6. TheReaper

TheReaper Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I chose Red Hat 7 because I checked out the Linux for dummies book and it came with the distro and Red Hat gives good support for a noob like me. I copies the cds and when I'm ready to use the old Dell LX and wait for my parents to get a new one by the end of the summer for the family, my pa said i could mess around with a linux distro up in my room. im still a linux noob, itl bee fun. thanks for your support

thanks,
    Reaper

7. displaymute

displaymute

Yep, pretty much anything will work. Go with your preference.

8. soybean

soybean

as soon as you have a bit of linux knowledge try vectorlinux http://www.vectorlinux.com light, easy to install, slackware based, the fastest distro you'll ever try. if you have normal hardware and aren't afraid of a text based interface (until you get X working) it will be great

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322396

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice