Should I use my old CPU cooling tower or the OEM one?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rev Darkwing

Hi all,
I am about to start my computer upgrade and have a question. The AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor I am using came with a cooling tower in the box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113286

It's not nearly as big as the one I purchased for my previous iteration back in 2008. It's a Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200013

My question is, should I go with the new smaller one or remove, clean and re-use my Rosewill cooler on this CPU?

It has seen almost continuous use since I built it in 2008 but I am not an overclocker and most use is light. I do occasionally use it for gaming but not extensively.

I am certain the Rosewill has far greater cooling capacity but I don't know about the longevity I might expect to get out of it. It's still very quiet and seems to be perfect in every way.... so far. I am on a budget so would prefer not to buy a new aftermarket one... but rather choose between the two I currently have available.

PS: my computer case has a side fan in addition to the big one on the back of the case.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

if u read the comments in the newegg link for the Vishera alot of people are saying the stock heatsink sucks......so probably use the rosewill cooler if it is quiet and works well.......... and i wouldn't worry about longevity, u can always replace the fan on it if and when it fails

Rev Darkwing

Thanks... I got the feeling from looking at it that it was an afterthought rather than a genuine attempt to beat the heat. Also, thanks for the head's up about replacing the fan if and when it goes out. I never considered that was something I could do. That makes it a no-brainer.

Much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online