1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Should you Reformat/Reinstall Windows after a virus?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by itg, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. itg

itg Thread Starter

Greetings all,

Recently I had the unfortunate experience of Nortons finding a virus on the PC (I dont have Nortons running all the time). Nortons subsequently cleaned and deleted the file and there has not been as issue since.
    The virus was called Downloader.Trojan and Nortons found it in

Local Settings\Temporary\Internet Files\Content.IE5\TKCB55WH\server[1].exe

My question is wether this virus was actually invoked or just parked in the directory and could there have been damage to the OS and/or other files and wether it would be best to reformat and reload Windows XP?

Regards
    Gary

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi itg,

You don't have to reinstall your system. You have just to empty your IE cache : open IE, select Tools, select Internet Options, a dialog box will be displayed, click the buttons Delete Files and Delete Cookies.
    Have a read of this threat to better protect your system :
    http://forums.techguy.org/t208517.html

3. itg

itg Thread Starter

Chicon,

Thanks for the advice, I have deleted all the internet temp files and cache. Would that virus have done any damage though, what does it actually do?

Thanks
    Gary

4. Chicon

Chicon

Here is the Symantec's definition of the virus found out on your system :
    I believe you have enough imagination to guess what kind of problems your system was exposed to.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice