should you replace your power supply witha bigger one

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dirtfarmer

should you replace your power supply witha bigger one

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a question
now most site i found, say that one should keep you PSU the same as it was, or get a bigger one to cover upgrade

now
the fuuny part is i found this one site that stateing that a larger PSu can cause problem witha compter rebooting or fail to boot at all
i find that hard to beleive that a larger power supply would cause any problem

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, this is posted in the wrong section, so we'll move it to the proper forum.

There is no reason to replace your P/S if the one you have is sufficient and of decent quality. I don't know what site says a larger P/S will cause problems booting, but they clearly don't know what they're talking about. The system will only draw the power required to run. After all, when you plug your 4 watt night light into an outlet that can supply 1800 watts, does it blow the lamp? No, it just consumes the power it requires, 4 watts.

crjdriver

Whoever told you that a larger ps will cause problems does not understand what they are talking about. As John explained an electrical device will use the amount of power it requires.

The only time replacing a power supply with a larger one could cause you problems is when you use a junk power supply like a raidmax, powmax, etc. If you replace an antec 350W with a raidmax 400W, you might have problems. It would NOT be caused by the larger ps, it is caused by using cheap parts.

dirtfarmer

thank
yes, i found that site to be well a little off on ther info, wish i keep a link to it, but i did not think ther where to good on ther fact so never save it

any was i order a Diablo Dual Fan 24 Pin SATA Ready 400W Pwr Supply from TigerDirect.ca , to replace my 250 watt

something not right with my compter as i have a hard time booting up and whne boot up, it can reboot on me any time
from what i been reading, a PSU has a good chance of beening the pest that going it to me

First Name
Jay

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Just look at the +12 volt rail, 15A! Most decent dual-channel power supplies have two rails that have that or usually more each! Don't do it! (n)

First Name
Jay
I read that as 'it is too late he already made the purchase.' I could be wrong though. For dirtfarmer, is the power supply that I linked to the one that you purchased? If so, I certainly hope that you get one that is the exception and gives you no trouble.

dirtfarmer

dustyjay is correct

yes i all really order it, and i hope it cure my problem, but now im not so sure

took be forever to boot up to nite, keep rebootingm even in save mode, i listern for the click when it reboot
i wish the amd cpu and power supply wher not so close, hard to pin down where the click comeing from, but i try a couple time, and i swear it come from the area around cpu on MOBO, but then i could be wrong ther to

First Name
Jay
you know if you give some of the Specifications of your computer it would be easier for us to know what is going on. Things like Make and model (motherboard or system), CPU, Ram, Video, ETC...

Care to translate that? I have no idea what you're trying to say.
LOL JohnWill. Its like playin multiplayer with foreigners.:D :D :D

Hey dude having a boosted power supply will definately not do any harm, but if it exceeds your required power you are just wasting money. If you got one that is really nice you can use it for your next computer.

Could the clicking noise be coming from your hard drive?

Just a quick note: A computer (and the P/S) is an electronic device. A night-light is an electric device. The analogy is incorrect. If you plug a 4W night-light (basically a short) into an 1800W circuit, it will blow like the dickens.

Courtney sends....

dirtfarmer

BIOS

BIOS Date: 03/13/02
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 62-0312-001199-00101111-071595-KT266A-GA7VTXHP
OEM Sign-On: 7VTXH+ F4
Chipset: VIA 82C3099 rev 0
Superio: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
CPU: AMD 1000 Mhz MAX: 1300 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 768 MB
Memory Maximum: 1536 MB
Memory Slot 01: 256 MB
Memory Slot 02: 512 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor a
1000 megahertz AMD Duron
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drives
164.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
90.80 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HP CD-Writer+ 9100 [CD-ROM drive]
HP DVD Writer 420n [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6E040L0 [Hard drive] (41.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n E12FLSTN, rev NAR61HA0, SMART Status: Healthy
Maxtor 6Y120L0 [Hard drive] (122.94 GB) -- drive 1, s/n Y32KZLPE, rev YAR41BW0, SMART Status: Healthy
System Model
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7VTXH+ 1.0
Asset Tag: 0123ABC

Main Circuit Board b
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7VTXH+ 1.0
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 062710 03/13/2002

Memory Modules
768 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller

Bus Adapters
ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (2x)

Display
Celestica Gold Edition RADEON 9200 [Display adapter]
Celestica Gold Edition RADEON 9200 - Secondary [Display adapter]
IBM G76 [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n 23-AV659, June 2000)

Multimedia
Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM)
Game Port for Creative
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
USB Audio Device

Other Devices
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
APC Battery BackUP
American Power Conversion USB UPS
USB Human Interface Device (2x)
Logitech QuickCam Messenger
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Generic USB Hub
Logitech USB Camera (Messenger)
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (5x)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online