1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Show Desktop (Quick Launch problem)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by marie500, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I thought I was dragging the Real One Player icon out of the tray onto the desktop, but it turned out to be the Show Desktop icon from Quick Launch. (I'm new to XP.) I dragged it back into the quick launch area, but it only created a shortcut. The real, original icon remains on the desktop. And if I move (or delete) it, the shortcut does not work.

I had to restore it after deleting, and it returned to the desktop, not the Quick Launch. Also tried getting rid of the Quick Launch toolbar and rebooting, hoping it would reconfigure itself when I applied Quick Launch toolbar again - no luck. I read how to recreate the file in Notepad, and I guess I can do that, but...I ALREADY have the file and icon, everything I need, don't I?...except it's ON the desktop....

2. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I followed the directions in this MS article - How to Recreate Show Desktop in Quick Launch:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

However! -- since I still have the original icon/command on the desktop, it didn't "recreate", it just created yet another shortcut, linked to the icon on the desktop. Somehow it's all been reconfigured to "start" from my desktop - there was a Show Desktop command already in that IE/Quick Launch folder. It just won't start from Quick Launch anymore. Would it work if I completely deleted both the Show Desktop shortcut AND the original command/Show Desktop icon from my desktop? Should I also delete the newly-created Notepad file - - and start from scratch with nothing (kind of scary, because now at least I have it, just all backwards and confusing!) -?

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Ok, I just tried the same as you did by dragging my Desktop icon onto the desktop and then I deleted it, I then tried to follow the steps in the link you provided However there was no folder called Quick Launch so I just created it and then put the .scf file in there.

Nope no Show desktop icon appeared on the quick launch bar as the article suggested it would ?

So I recovered the one I deleted from the recycle bin and then dragged it onto the quick launch bar and right clicked it and renamed it to Desktop.
    Then I deleted the shortcut on the desktop, and clicked on the one in the quick launch bar, windows then said something about not being able to find it but offered the next best thing which was to point the icon to the file in C:\WINDOWS\Show Desktop.scf

Bingo !!! It's Back.

I also deleted the folder Quick Launch which I had created ?

This is probably the long way around but it worked ;)

4. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Thanks!!...I'm back in business too! You were brave to duplicate my problem on your own computer - - that's so cool! So glad you had the know-how & creative thinking to get us both out of this quagmire I dragged you into. Appreciate it greatly!

5. EvileYe

EvileYe

:D Your Welcome

6. bluurpie

bluurpie

I think I have a much easier way to do it and no shortcuts are created.

1. Create the Show Desktop.scf as directed by microsoft
    2. Unlock your Quicklaunch bar
    3. Drag your quicklaunch bar wider (so that you'll see empty spaces)
    4. Right click and choose Open Folder
    5. Cut the Show Desktop.scf file and paste into that folder
    6. Done

:D

7. TonyG

TonyG

I have a similar problem, when I click on the showdesktop icon I get a window that states "windows can't open it because it doesn't know what program created it" , i have selected the obvious programs like IE and notepad but no go!
    Does anybody have an idea on a fix

Many thanks in advance
    TONY

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice