"Show Images" feature security in Yahoo app

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MusicTech1

Why does it ask to "Show Images" in Yahoo mail app? I accidentally clicked on "show images" on what looks like a phishing email. I didn't click on the hyperlink, but I clicked the "show images" button. Am I infected with viruses now?? LOL

What is the purpose of "show images"? I've heard opening a PDF can execute programs, but can viewing images inserted into the body of an email have any negative effect on the security of your device? If not, what is the purpose of this feature? Thanks!

Last edited:

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi MusicTech1, and welcome to TSG.

The URL of some of the images could be unique to the email address of each email recipient. Displaying the image when opening the email would allow the sender to track when the email was opened by the particular recipient and possibly their general location, based on their IP address, at the time it was opened.

MusicTech1

Hi Chuck,
Thanks so much for your response and insight. So besides the sender possibly knowing my general location and IP, are there any other security risks? I did this on my phone so I wouldn't want any personal stuff being accessed by the bad guys. It seems harmless, but I was just wondering why Yahoo would go through the trouble to "block images" if there isn't much of a security threat.

Thanks again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online