1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Shower pump failed

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by nichos, Jul 19, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. saikee

saikee

It is possible that the reed switch is mains powered making it a dangerous attempt to short circuit it.

My main concern is that the lowest power shower pump I know is at at least one bar and that is 10m of head of water pressure. That is far too strong for a water pond which needs only a metre or 1.5m head difference to work. It is possible to add a valve to throttle the flow to absorb the extra energy. The situation is made worst here because the owner joins the cold and hot water sides to a common pipe so the flow is doubled.

It is admirable to use the old pump but every pump has a duty point. Forcing it to run at a point far away from it designed duty will kill the pump off in no time.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  2. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx again,

Forgive my ignorance in electrics but, if I could isolate the reeds setup & leave the out pipes unrestricted by anything, then all I will be doing is:-

1. Bring the pump by the edge of the pond

2. lower the incoming hose in the pond

3. switch ON the pump to lower the pond water level 2-3 inches & switch the pump OFF.

Is the attached helpful in interpolating the connections from the top of the main pcb to its other side showing the circuit where the wires are soldered

Attached Files:

3. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

I took the plunge & unsoldered the mains power & the motor leads from the PCB & connected them via a switch hoping the pump would run when powered directly by mains, well it did not run, WHY???

There should be no power going into the pcb as the motor leads are connected directly to the mains via the switch.

Please note this 4th black lead coming out of the pump, what is it for?. ...thanx ........nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 6:15 AM
  4. saikee

saikee

My approach would be to isolate the two red wires off the reed switch on each side to test if the circuit is on when there is water passing through. If it does then the correct way would be provide a link to short-circuit it on the PCB. Like I mentioned earlier the reed switch is likely mains powered meaning it could switch the mains power to the pump directly.

My previous concern is hydraulically a shower pump has excessive pressure and excessive flow for a fish pond.

There is nothing wrong for one to do experiments on a device no longer needed as that is also my way of learning. However you should exercise with care with the mains power and has a multimeter and a pair of rubber groves as a second line of defence when doing changes to the system when it is off line.

To test if the two red wire make or break is just testing the two end with a Ohm meter when the two wires are off the circuit board.

5. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1193368