1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Showing JPEG images in thumbnails

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dunaz, Jul 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dunaz

dunaz Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 2000, and I want to be able to see JPEG images when I select "Thumbnails" under the View menu. Currently, the only images that display are Windows bit map images (BMP). I know it's possible to see JPEG windows as thumbnails under Windows 2000 because I used to have a different computer that ran 2000 and did display JPEGs. However, I got a new computer that doesn't. I'm assuming there is a way to tell Windows 2000 to display JPEG images in thumbnails, but I can't find any reference to thumbnail views in Windows help or on the Microsoft website.

Any suggestions, please?

2. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

Are you able to open Jpeg? What view are in Web or classic? I did not have to set mine it did it automaticly.

3. dunaz

dunaz Thread Starter

Thanks, Tx_Tim. Yes, I can see JPEG files if I double click on them to open them, and then they are opened in Microsoft's Imaging for Windows program. I also have Irfanview and Ulead Photo Express--both of which will open and display JPEG files. However, I used to be able to see JPEG images in Windows 2000 just by selecting Thumbnail views in the View menu. Now, I just see an icon for the Imaging for Windows program--no images themselves. Strangely, it does show BMP images, but not JPEG. In the computer I used to have, the Windows 2000 thumbnail view showed JPEG images but not BMP images. There must be a way to tell Windows 2000 to display JPEG images in the thumbnail view, but I can't figure out how to do that. I'm baffled, in part, because the Windows Help system doesn't even have an entry for thumbnail views, which is very odd. Any ideas?

4. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

you never said if you are using classic or web enable.

5. dunaz

dunaz Thread Starter

Ah. I'm using classic, but it doesn't seem to matter. The web enabled folder view doesn't seem to handle the images any differently.

6. lance_imaging

lance_imaging

I am having the same problem with the file option of thumbnails. I had it on this system, win2000P, I had to re-install some programs....and , now I click the thumbnail view and only get a jpeg icon in a box. Anyone have any ideas what switch I must have wrongly clicked on?? Thanks

7. Tx_Tim

Tx_Tim

Why don't you try change the view from classic to web enable and see what happen. Instead of having thumbnail try detail. You should have a view on your right hand side.

8. lance_imaging

lance_imaging

Thanks...but , I tried the web vs. classic thing....no difference. I just don't get this. I will keep lookinfg and if I find something , I will post it
    thanks

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

Make sure the following registry keys are set up:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.file type
    . . . ShellEx
    . . . . . .{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

Where "file type" equals jpg, jpeg, gif, etc. The value in that last humongous key should be (Default)="{7376D660-C583-11d0-A3A5-00C04FD706EC}" without the quotes. The file extensions that use the above registry keys are as follows:

art
    bmp
    dib
    gif
    jfif
    jpe
    jpeg
    jpg
    png
    wmf

When you first click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you'll see a long vertical string of folders with short names--in fact, one of them will be "bmp" for one of you who said you can view bitmap thumbnails. If you open that, you'll see the "ShellEx key, then the key with the long list of numbers. You should have identical keys for all of the files types listed above and you guys obviously are missing the ones for jpeg and jpg or they key value changed. You should be able to just cut and paste that string I gave you above into the applicable key. You'll be able to view jpegs and all of the others above once those keys are set up properly.

And I guess I should warn you to know how to restore your registry in case there is a problem after you edit it!!!

[Edited by Mulder on 07-09-2001 at 06:57 PM]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/47537

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice