1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

showing other machines in workgroup that doesn't exist

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lemmonhead, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lemmonhead

lemmonhead Thread Starter

Just formatted all drives on my network, and in process of reconfiguring them. Without acutally creating a new network as of yet, (all are running through wireless router) except my main machine which is hardwired, I am showing one of my son's machines. How would that be possible?

Also, am showing pc connectivity on the router and cable modem when ALL machines are shut OFF. Have contacted Linksys, they don't have a clue as to why that would be. It does appear to kill the link when in suspend or hibernation but not when completely shut off.

One more thing, when I got the second machine up and running WIRELESSLY, it was showing as being hardwired in the dhcp client table on the routers settings page. How the heck is that possible? I Deleted that connection and all is showing well now except for the fact of the connectivity issue.

Any Ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, on the DHCP issue, a machine will show up more than once if it's been assigned a new address, and the lease time on the old address has not yet expired. This is normal.

As for the connectivity when powered down, does that computer have WOL (Wake On LAN) capability? This is an option that leaves the NIC powered so the machine can be turned on remotely, and it would still be connected.

I have my daughter's machine wired with WOL so I can wake it up and do backup, since that's not one of her priorities. :)

3. lemmonhead

Thanks for the reply Johnwill, That makes some sense, but wouldn't it apply for all modes of shutdown? (ie) standyby, hibernation? I'll check it out when I get home from work and let you know.

As for the DHCP issue, I understand about the lease time, but it was showing up as ethernet connection when in fact it's on the other side of the house going wireless. All of the other machines except hardlined one show up as a wireless connection. Follow me?

Thanks again for your help.

4. JohnWill

Normally, a machine in standby still has it's NIC powered, though when it goes into hibernation it would unpowered without WOL. I never use hibernation, so I don't know how it acts when it receives a WOL command.

I really don't know what the difference in the wireless connections are, I suspect I'd have to see it to figure it out...

5. jmc

jmc

FWIW, my wired Linux box (Shuttle SS40G) still lights up the router, even when it is completely, utterly off (as it is now), and I'm fairly sure I disabled WOL for security reasons (I'm paranoid, what can I say?)

6. JohnWill

Well, I suspect the NIC is still powered, see if the light is on if you pull the plug out of the P/S.

7. jmc

jmc

Yea, that's what I was trying to say :) I believe most modern mobos allow a trickle of power through even when powered down. I know for a fact my Asus does, it has a "you didn't pull the plug, stupid" LED on it.

8. lemmonhead

Well that does appear to be it. Pull the plug and it goes dead. I have disabled in the bios but it still shows active till the plug is pulled.

I just don't remember it ever doing this before, which is why it has me concerned.

One more question for ya, If I setup all the machines with default values, no network has been named or permissions set yet, will all the machines be viewable when ON in the default "workgroup" of my network places? I am getting an active open connection from one of them. Is this normal?

Also when running Spybot SD I keep hanging up at "C2LOP" for a few minutes before it kicks back in and finishes which never seemed to happen before.

Thanks goes out to everyone here. What a great place to hang out.

9. JohnWill

There was an update for SpyBot for the C2LOP hang, I'd download the current installation set and then update the signatures, should fix it.

I don't know what you mean with "active open connection", exactly what are you looking at when you see this? The machines in Network Places will be any that have File & Print Sharing enabled.

10. lemmonhead

With the Hacker Eliminator proggy or Swat it, you can look at all the ports that are listening etc.. Anytime you hit the web it will show the local and remote ports of your machine and whatever server you are connecting with. I know this is normal.

What I am trying to determine is if, without any "sharing" turned on, why is my sons machine giving me an established connection to mine. I don't think it should be connecting with me without first setting some sharing permissions. Should it? I used to have them all networked together, but after fresh installs on all of them I would think they should not be talking to each other at this point.

11. JohnWill

What port(s) does the machine think it's connecting on? If you're curious as to what is going on, consider downloading www.ethereal.com and monitoring network traffic.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice