Showing the System temperature

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

theMusicMan

Is there a way to actually see and monitor the system temperature...? I am experiencing a few performance issues currently which I think might be related to the temperature of my laptop.

I notice that when I first turn it on, performance is the usual blistering pace, but after a while i.e. when the chipset heats up etc... I can hear the fan cut in and there is a noticeable drop in overall performance.

The mouse goes sluggish, jumping when I move it, and applications take a while to load and run. Also, just now, when the fan cut-in, the unit powered off...

So.. is there a way to monitor the temperature over time?

etaf

Wayne
The fan cut-in - is this a laptop.

post some details of make/model of PC
motherboard would be useful
use these free programs to identify hardware if you do not know it

The program is freeware called EVEREST Home Edition v1.10 and can be downloaded from http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5
or http://www.belarc.com

and post info

I have sen some post with programs for monitor temp - but I dont know enough about them on your machine to advise

theMusicMan

Ok here goes... I downloaded belarc and here's some details. Sorry I didn't include these with my first post...

Model
Dell Computer Corporation Latitude C840

OS
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600)

Processor
1.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Main Circuit Board
Board: Dell Computer Corporation Latitude C840
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A10 03/07/2003

Is that enough info...?

etaf

Wayne
heres a link to the post with temp programs _ http://forums.techguy.org/t258972
BEWARE i'm not sure if they work on your PC.....
You may find you can see the temps by looking in bios - also have you any programs like PCAlert already on the PC

theMusicMan

Thanks etaf...

I am certain it is a temperature issue. Today my laptop has been fine, with the usual super performance. I have downloaded one of those temperature monitors you provided and have that running in my task bar.

Thanks for the links...

etaf

Wayne
good luck i'm not online now till late next week.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Most laptops don't include the system monitor circuitry, so you're unlikely to be able to check the temperature that way.

are you sure your computer isn't sluggish because you have too many applications open, taking up your memory?

theMusicMan

vbaboon said:
are you sure your computer isn't sluggish because you have too many applications open, taking up your memory?
Nope - has been fine for months up until a week ago... I installed temperature monitoring software that allows me to amend the temp when the fans cut in. All is fine now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online