Shows 2 OSs on boot, only have one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Maggar

Did a clean install of xp a few months back, when I booted it up shows 2 copies of windows. The (default) gives me an error when I try to boot it. Never really bothered me before but I need to be able to have windows restart automatically now. There is only one OS, no dual booting what so ever.

If I go into Start up and Recovery only one OS is shown. So I can't switch the default, that would be to easy. Anyone have any ideas? This is what my boot.ini looks like ....

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS /usepmtimer
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

When you did a clean install a few months back did you delete the existing partition and create a new one ?

Maggar

At this point I honestly couldn't tell you. Don't really remember as it was a while.
Lets go ahead and assume that I didn't and that's the cause. Any idea on what to do? Or at least a jumping off point so I can know what to look for?

Save a copy of your boot.ini

Then change it to this and see if it is fixed:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=30
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Maggar

Changing the boot.ini file didn't work, same problem as before.

I do appear to have 2 partitions. One has no name and I can't open it, so I assume it's an old Linux partition. I could be wrong though, partitions are something I don't know much about.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Create an XP boot floppy. Go to setup, change boot device priority to Floppy, presuming you have floppy drive, if not to CD and create CD instead of floppy.
Boot from that to XP and see what happens.
To create boot floppy sere this. If no floppy simply subsitute to CD
Start with a blank, formatted floppy disk. If you need to format a floppy, simply insert the disk into its drive, double-click My Computer, right-click the floppy drive icon, select Format, and then click Start.
Next, open your C: drive in Windows Explorer. If Explorer displays a warning, click Show the contents of this folder. To display the particular files you need, select Tools, Folder Options, then click the View tab. Make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected, and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). At the warning, click Yes, then OK.
Copy the files boot.ini, ntdetect.com, and ntldr to your floppy. Remove the disk, open the write-protect switch in its bottom-left corner, and label the floppy "Boot Disk." Return to the Folder Options dialog box and recheck Hide protected operating system files and folders (Recommended).
Place this floppy in the drive and reboot your system. Your PC will bypass the basic boot files on your hard drive, but it will otherwise load Windows normally.
If it now loads the Windows. Go to search, include hidden files and folders and system and search for those files. See how many copies are found.. Then go to where they are and using edit have a look at them.
Compare those, with the versions you have downloaded to the floppy or CD.
We know what the boot ini looked liked from your presvious post, it must be one of the others.
My guess is that Windows is booting from two NTLDR and NTdetect files.

A couple of things you could try, but proceed at you own RISK, make sure you have everything backed up.
You could try formatting the extra partition or look in to the FIXMBR command.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I do NOT advise formatting the partition UNTIL we know what is on it.
There are a number of ways to examine it, we can look at this later.
The Fixmbr command is accessible ONLY from the Recovery Console. See this
Fixmbr

Repairs the master boot record of the boot disk. The fixmbr command is only available when you are using the Recovery Console
fixmbr [device_name]
Parameter
device_name
The device (drive) on which you want to write a new master boot record. The name can be obtained from the output of the map command. An example of a device name is:
\Device\HardDisk0.
Example
The following example writes a new master boot record to the device specified:
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

Note
•If you do not specify a device_name, a new master boot record will be written to the boot device, which is the drive on which your primary system is loaded.
•If an invalid or nonstandard partition table signature is detected, you will be prompted whether you want to continue. If you are not having problems accessing your drives, you should not continue. Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online