1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shrink Restore Partition; Clean-install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zapp22, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

hi folks. of all the tasks I've done with Winxp/Vista/7/8 this is one that is new to me so I need your guidance.
    I have a samsung NC10 Netbook; factory Windows XP Home image, and I'm going to clean install/reinstall in order to sell.
    the unit shipped with a Restore Partition [i have not tested it], No CD's, and maddeningly, Samsung chose to split the generous 160GB hard drive evenly! so, somewhere over the years some data has been written to "D", but not to the system partition unless by some windows default system setting.
    I have not tested the Restore partitions operation but will today/tomorrow to see if it looks like it can execute ok.

So, ideally, I would like a cleanup that would leave as much of the drive as possible in a big C: partition, and keep a restore partition tucked away for emergencies, as small as it can be.
    HOW do I accomplish this? Can I simply resize the restore partition, destroy the existing main partition then grab all the available space, recreate it, then run a restore? that sounds a tad simplistic to me but will it work?

This device of course has no secondary drive. the primary is SATA and one would hope that they had a second SATA channel buried somewhere but I doubt it. so I'm not optimistic about creating a cd/dvd or usb-installable of any kind.

The other approach I have wondered about would be to use Paragon's Backup/Restore package, image the restore partition, but then restore it to a smaller physical size than what it came off of. I have done that [both ways] with C: drives in the past and most of the time it worked [did not work on ssd for some reason]. Could this approach succeed?:confused: [usb drive as the store]

all help greatly appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you have a "Restore" partition, then I would do a recover to factory settings.

This should give you a clean machine with a "Windows.old" folder. This folder can and should be removed.

Then check out the partitions of this new clean OS. You may find that the partitions may be OK. If not then do the resizing of the partitions.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

so you're saying to take the risk that I WILL be able to resize both after-the-fact?
    if that's the bet, then it would make sense to go ahead NOW and try to resize. there shouldn't be any difference if the operation can be allowed.
    put in the negative: if I can't pull it off now, there's little chance a reinstall would magically make it doable.

since the tool to boot from would need to be usb-based, what tool might that be??
    I guess I should look for a usb flashdrive image of Parted Magic or similar....UBD has such tools on it - maybe I can run that from usb

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Your machine was built to use the System recover, so no external drive is needed. BUT if you have wiped out the use of the System recover, them you do have a different problem.

Go to Start, All Programs, Administrator Tools, Computer Management and then click on Disk Management.
    Now post a screen shot of your drives and we can see what you have.

Go to http://skp.samsungcsportal.com/integrated/popup/FaqDetailPopup3.jsp?cdsite=ae&seq=408456 for more information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice