1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shrinking, or extending a volume

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Boothbay, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

never used Disk Management. I had always used Partition Magic..its so old don't even know if it would work on Win 7. That being said and unknownst to D M, I tried to use it for the first time and am stumped even after reading the Help and similar problems shown by other members. I have another hd installed with a partial OS of XP. It shows as Drive F ( 46.97 GB ) and Drive G ( unallocated space ) (38.00 Gb ) of a total 80 gb drive. I wanted to shrink the volume, which would be to the right side, about 24 gb's. The box appears where numbers are shown and it shows 9503 MB...with the drive now 38589 GB...when I try to add to that figure of 9503, it does not move...so apparently, if I am reading it correctly, that is all i can do? Then I tried to extend a volume to the G drive, which is only unallocated and the Wizard won't let me add any numbers at all. It just shows the size of it. I seem to be limited...or denied. What am I doing wrong?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not understanding. How did you manage to get a drive letter assigned to unallocated space????

Please attach a screen shot or two to show us what you have.

Disk Management only does very basic stuff. I mostly use EASEUS Partition Master.

3. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I really don't know how that drive G got there, when i installed that "F" drive..

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you didn't create that 29.36 GB logical partition then somebody else must have. It will need to be deleted (or shrunk) if you want to increase the size of the OCTOBER2011 partition.

If you were trying to shrink the OCTOBER2011 partition more than Disk Management allowed either that was just typical Disk Management or else there really is an unmovable file there.

5. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I don't understand 'typical disk management'? Never heard of unremovable file. How come I never had these problems when i used Partition Magic? This hd was my old primary drive for XP, but after making my first build I had to get an new sata hd, so I am using "F" and "G" merely as storage. Like the image shows Drive F is 46 gb, and of that amount, only 24 gb is used space. DM after trying to shrink 'October" allowed only 9503 MB's. I also tried to extend the "G" drive and the wizard info comes up only grey..the boxes are empty and i cannot add anything to it. BTW, how do I find the unremovable file? The October F drive was my primary...do u think if I remove the primary factor then i could have more success? Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just my sarcastic way of saying that Microsoft's Disk Management utility is very basic (can't do much).

I don't know.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Partition Magic is not compatible with Windows versions released after XP. That includes Vista, 7, 8 and 10 !
    Personally I wouldn't use PM with XP either, there are much better free programs now that do everything PM did.

I can recommend this free program to work on partitions :- http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Do be careful if you use it and if you need help just ask.

8. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

I was thinking and someone here recommended the EaseUs Partition Master free software...i was about to install it when i was confronted with all those extra's that they offer. Some you can ignore..ie Pluto TV, which i do not want and then they offered the 360 security software...which does not seem to allow you to ignore that one, so i stopped the installation. Do u know if I would get the same offers with your recommendation and of the 2 which would u prefer?

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Both programs work well but I prefer the one I linked to. I just installed the latest version and it doesn't offer any other stuff during the install.

10. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Apparently, its just a "Free" download only from what I read, the EaseUS is totally free. I'm tired of paying for ensueing partition programs.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

13. Boothbay

Boothbay Thread Starter

Thanks...I did it your way and it worked. I had no idea that there were variations on how to download various program, avoiding those add ons.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad it worked for you.

Some free programs will offer other stuff during the install and you have to watch out for that these days.

To be fair it's probably a way for them to make some money and keep the programs free but I would rather have to tick a box to say 'yes' than untick a box to say 'no' !

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice