1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shrinking xp's size

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MIDNIGHTMOON, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MIDNIGHTMOON

MIDNIGHTMOON Thread Starter

Hello,

I need some help on how I can make xp as small as possible. I have system restore turned off. All extra xp programs are unistalled. I want xp to loose some weight. Right now Im slightly over 1gig. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. MIDNIGHTMOON

anything else I can delete? Like picture and sound files I dont really need. I want to hack out everything so its just bare bones.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I have seen several people try what you want and they are rather unsuccessful. What you need to know is absolutely everything there is to know about Windows and I mean everything and that is impossible since there is not one person alive that knows that much, If they think they do this is one person you do not want to talk to. I was wondering why you wish to do this task? There are smaller versions of Windows XP because not you can make bootable thumb drives but they are very limited in what you can do with them. I personally do not want to see you trash your computer and that is probably going to be the end result of this venture. I suggest making a backup of all of your important data before continuing with this.

5. MIDNIGHTMOON

Im a long time windows hack. The computer that Im triing this on is an old thinkpad. I just want to see how small xp pro can get because its on a partitioned drive thats a little small for xp. Its on a 2gig drive and I only have 110mb free. I thought at one time I had more like 400mb.

6. MIDNIGHTMOON

Why is Documents and settings 50mb but takes up136mb?

7. stantley

stantley

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491374

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice