Shut Down BSOD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stephenx63

I had this problem a few years back and it kinda sorted itself out, but it's started happening again. Basically when I shut down my computer after logging in and using it, the shut-down will fail and a BSOD will appear. WhoCrashed gives me the following similar reports:

On Sat 31/12/2016 02:00:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\123116-28719-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: xhcdrv.sys (xhcdrv+0x1A884)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF8800461A884, 0xFFFFF88006C05DE8, 0xFFFFF88006C05640)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xhcdrv.sys
product: VIA eXtensible Host Controller driver
company: VIA Technologies, Inc.
description: WDF Driver for VIA eXtensible Host Controller
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: xhcdrv.sys (WDF Driver for VIA eXtensible Host Controller, VIA Technologies, Inc.).
Google query: VIA Technologies, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Fri 30/12/2016 14:37:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\123016-23540-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: xhcdrv.sys (xhcdrv+0x1A884)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFF80000003, 0xFFFFF88004884884, 0x0, 0x1)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\xhcdrv.sys
product: VIA eXtensible Host Controller driver
company: VIA Technologies, Inc.
description: WDF Driver for VIA eXtensible Host Controller
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: xhcdrv.sys (WDF Driver for VIA eXtensible Host Controller, VIA Technologies, Inc.).
Google query: VIA Technologies, Inc. KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

From what I can tell it basically seems like there is an issue with the USB 3.0 port on the front of my PC. Plugged into it I have a TOSHIBA CANVIO BASICS Hard Disk Drive. I have checked for updated drivers for the USB port and the Hard Disk Drive but can't see any for either, unless I missed them on the site.
Anyone know how this shutdown error can be fixed. I tried before shutting PC down after ejecting the disk drive and also from turning PC on and then shutting down without logging onto Windows and shutdown happens without error.

Thanks.

Check the motherboards manufacture website to see if they have an update for the xHCI.
If not take a look at the drivers in the link below. Make sure they are correct for your motherboard and read the disclaimer before applying. Also read the release notes for install/update instructions.
http://via-labs.com/en/support/downloads.jsp

Note: Windows 7 did not come with support for xHCI out of the box. You must get the drivers from the MB manufacture or VIA themselves.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online