1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shut down feature restarts instead

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Mepsos, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mepsos

Mepsos Thread Starter

My computer used to shut off automatically when you clicked shut down (the machine would turn off by its self), but lately instead of shutting down, my computer just restarts. How can I get my computer to shut down properly again? Thanks.

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

First got to start>settings>control panel>power management>set power schemes to always on and everything else to never.

If that doesnt work the go to start>run>type in regedit>surf to this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Shutdown>you should see a "Fast Boot" there, what is the number beside it?

3. ezymony

ezymony

be sure when you click start shutdown that restart is not checked

4. Mepsos

Mepsos Thread Starter

I have:
    FastReboot "1"
    original_FastReboot "0"

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I don';t know which version of Window you are running. But instead of going into the registry, try this first. Go to start>run and type msconfig.
    Click the "advanced" button. If there is a disable Fast Shutdown option, click on it.
    Click OK. Restart and see if it helps.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice