1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shut Down or Hibernate?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bilnrobn, Jan 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Can anyone give an answer to something that has bothered me for ages?
    Does it harm a computer turning it off after you are through, and then back on again later, rather than leave it running?
    Does it do less harm to put it in Hibernate mode than to close it down completely?
    Is it best to have the system close down the monitor and hard drive after a short period of non-activity and leave the cpu switched on?
    Which of these is best for minimising wear and tear on the computer... or is there a fourth option?

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Lol that debate comes up pretty frequently.. can probably find a few old threads if you run a search.

in my opinion its pretty much 6 of one half dozen of another. it was a major issue back when screen burn in was common and before harddrives spun down, etc. now its more of a personal preference i think.

I turn mine off at night simply because i dont want to listen to the fans. i leave it on during the day because i dont want to wait for it to boot.

I personally don't like hibernate because it uses too much disk space (often several hundred MB)

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since hibernate is the same as shutting the PC off, i.e., both truly power it off, there is no difference in "wear & tear" on the machine. Hibernate just saves the state of your work and brings you back to where you were, and is supposed to be a little quicker than a cold boot. OTOH, I think hibernate is a total waste of time, since if I'm turning off the machine, I want to REALLY save my work! I have all my machines set to turn off the monitor, and the rest of the stuff gets to run. I've had issues with machines spinning up the drives after I power them down on a number of computers, they seem to revert to PIO mode for some reason.

4. bilnrobn

bilnrobn Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bill
    Thanks fellas. That was pretty much what I thought too, but thought I would check for other opinions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice