1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shut down problems after downloading MSN instant messaging update

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by whiskeyecho, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whiskeyecho

whiskeyecho Thread Starter

Howdy,
    Recently I downloaded an updated version of MSN instant messaging and within the hour when I went to shut down (and even in shut down/restart) a dialog box pops up saying "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down". In the upper left corner of this dialog box is the word "Explorer". When I click "ok" the shutting down process will try to close, but then hangs up forcing a power shut off or "hard" shut down. What can I do to get my usual smooth shut down or restart? I have not had any problems with my pc for about 3 months... but the one download and everytime I try shut down I have the nightmare.
    Thank you for your attention and I eagerly await your reply. Nik at Whiskeyecho Ranches

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG Nik. If this problem is continuing, click on the "Details" tab of the message and note both the modules and the error address referenced...eg, Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module unknown or whatever.

And try this. Before finally shutting down, do a ctrl-alt-del and end-task one at a time each running task. Leave Explorer and systray in there and shut down. Does the error still occur?

Try doing a Disk Cleanup -- flushing your Temporary Internet and Temp folders -- Programs/accessories/system tools/Disk Cleanup

Also does the error occur only after you have been online?

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

In addition to Rog's suggestions, go to msconfig and look for LoadQM in the startup group & uncheck it.

4. whiskeyecho

Howdy,
    Thank you for your prompt reply, Rog.
    I have printed out your suggestions and as soon as I disconnect from the net and attempt to shut down or restart, I will know if all works smoothly.
    Thanks again.
    Nik

5. whiskeyecho

Howdy Rog and Mosaic 1,
    I did proceed with the suggestions you both offered and without sucess, sorry to say. On shutdown and shutdown/restart my windows 98se still gives the dialog box saying "..illegal operation..." and it hangs up with freeze at the final phase of shut down forcing me to still do a hard shut down which I hate doing. The pc is a hp Pavilion 6648C series. Anything else you can suggest will be very much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Nik at Whiskey Echo Ranches

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

whiskeyecho,
    Sorry to hear it. Please post the exact error message you are receiving. That might provide a valuable clue. Without it, there's not much to go on.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Also as it's rather unusual to get an "illegal operation" message during shutdown (usually they are blue screens or just freezes), I'm wondering if you have an antivirus program configured to scan at that time?

Also do this so we can see what you have loading and running:

Go to start and run msinfo32

Click on "software environment" and "startup programs"

With "startup programs" highlighted, click Edit>Select All>Edit>Copy

Paste the copied text in your next reply by right clicking on the message box and selecting "paste"

8. whiskeyecho

{duplicate edited for space} RR

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Nik, I merged your new thread into this one, if you'll just keep posting back to the same thread, Rog and Mosaic will be advised of your postings......

10. whiskeyecho

Howdy,
    I'm very old, but very new to this business of cyber stuff... and I haven't figured out what button to click to respond to Rog and Mosaic... In your message you also mention I had a lot of "spy..." somethings... when I went back to your reply... that part was missing!!! what are spy whatevers??

11. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Last summer I had this self same problem and it was caused by Msn Messenger somehow interacting with IE 5.5 I never found out the cause but I got rid of it by getting rid of messenger ....sorry for butting in maybe just a coincidence

12. whiskeyecho

Rog and Mosaic 1
    Howdy,
    Thank you for bearing with me. Yes, it is most unusual that the dialog box says "...illegal operation..." but that is what pops up when I go to start and begin shutdown and shutdown/restart.

I did the start, run, msinfo32, copy and here is the paste:

Updates from HP Startup Group "C:\Program Files\BackWeb\BackWeb\Program\backweb.exe"
    Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe"
    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    Internet Answering Machine Startup Group "C:\Program Files\CallWave\IAMSETUP.EXE" -start
    Refresh Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\REFRESH.EXE"
    Iomega Disk Icons Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\IMGICON.EXE"
    Iomega Startup Options Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Iomega\Tools\IMGSTART.EXE"
    RealDownload Startup Group C:\RealDownload\REALDOWNLOAD.EXE -hidden
    run Win.ini hpfsched
    MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    MoneyAgent Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
    Total Internet Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NEMONT COMMUNICATIONS\FPTOOL.EXE
    Registry (Per-User Run)
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    HPScanPatch Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPScanFix.exe
    hpsysdrv Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    HPHA1MON Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPHA1MON.EXE
    Keyboard Manager Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Netropa\One-touch Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    VsecomrEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSEcomR.EXE
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    VsStatEXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee VirusScan\VSSTAT.EXE /SHOWWARNING
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) c:\download\realplay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    Tweak UI Registry (Machine Run) RUNDLL32.EXE TWEAKUI.CPL,TweakMeUp
    TimeSink Ad Client Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\TimeSink\AdGateway\TSADBOT.EXE"
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    Encompass_ENCMONTR Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\Easy Internet\ENCMONTR.EXE
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    McAfeeWebScanX Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\WebScanX.Exe /RUNSERVICES

I suddenly feel very vunerable... but hope this will help you help me solve this strange, but frustrating problem.
    Nik at Whiskey Echo Ranches Out in Montana

13. whiskeyecho

No problem with butting in... any help at this point is welcome. I would really hate to eliminate messenger as I use it for instant messaging (using voice) to stay in contact with my younger brother in Cheyenne Wyoming. He is blind and cannot see the screen, but once his wife has him set up, we can talk.

You are on to something tho, because this all started the moment I downloaded the updated version MSN messenger offered. One of the names that sits to the left top band on the "...illegal operation..." dialog box that pops up is EXPLORER.

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, I was going to suggest that you download a program to get rid of spyware, but I think it'll be best to leave you in the hands of Mosaic and Rog, as they may want you to do things in a specific order.....sit tight, Rog more than likely will be along soon.

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Whew, there is a daunting array of stuff there, some of it apparently dated and irrelevant. I hardly know how to begin. This is going to take a while to sort out so I hope you have patience and your frustration level isn't too low. There is some spyware there, but I'm going to leave it's removal for last.
    ============

Let's start by trimming down the number of programs loading at startup. Some may turn out to be desirable options which you may want to re-enable, but lets test things first. I am going to intentionally leave msmsgs IN the startup group just to see if the problem is due to something independent of it.

Here's how we want to proceed:

>> go to Start and run msconfig

>> click on the "Startup" tab and remove the checks for the following components:

> update from HP...backweb.exe (outdated, does nothing)
    > OSA9.exe ... (speeds launch of Office programs...not req)
    > MoneyAgent Registry
    > VSEcom.exe .... an old McAfee registration reminder
    > Refresh Startup ... (Iomega desktop icons ... optional)
    > imigicon.exe ... (also Iomega ... optional)
    > RealDownload.exe (disable for test purposes, doubtful necesisty)

> hpsfsched .... (another "reminder")
    > FPTool.exe ... (?? disable for test purposes)
    > Realtray ... (probably not a problem, just uses resources for nothing)

> Timesink...Tsadbot (here is your "spyware")
    > Encompass_Encomontr ....(annoying disconnect prompt, not needed)

>>Note: You have TWO instances of McAfee Webscan, each loading from a different place. One or both of these could be a problem with the shutdown. I would disable BOTH temporarily, and re-enable only one after testing

See what happens in this configuration and report back. Probably best not to download anything with WebScan disabled.

Most of the items I have selected are discussed in this link covering startup programs. It is a valuable resource to review for any questions you may have concerning them.

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm#Select

Also, I have left McAfee's basic scan engine (Vshwin32EXE) enabled. Check your user interface to see if it is configured to scan at shutdown.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60744

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice