Shut down procedure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigdonmc

Why is it that 2 out of 3 times I go through the nomal shut down procedure the computer restarts and I have to shut down again, After the seconded attempt the computer shuts down normally as it should. Can you help me out.

This usually indicates that the computer encounters a serious error during shutdown, such as unloading a damaged driver file.

Or the computer may have an infection.

Under control panel - system - advanced - look for "restart on error" and uncheck the box. Assuming XP or Vista. As I am using Linux right now I cant remeber the exact location.

That will give a lock-up and a blue screen with an error. Write down the exact error and post back here.

bigdonmc

Punkboy 15,When I brought up the screen control panel-system-advanced there was no box to check called "restart on error". I run the XP system. Any other advice?

bigdonmc

The error reporting screen came up with the "disable error reporting"and the " but notify me when critical errors occur" is checked. This problem with the shut down is intermitent.

You have still been looking in the wrong place.
In XP it's Control Panel , System, Advanced, Startup and recovery -then press the "settings" button under the heading of Startup and Recovery, Then in the System Failure area, uncheck "automatically restart".

All you have done so far is modify when it informs Microsoft of an error, instead of informing you by a blue screen error.

I have booted up an older XP machine to ensure the info above is correct.

bigdonmc

When the Start up and Recovery screen comes up I go to the System failure and uncheck Auto restart. Then I click OK and it goes back to the Start Up and Recovery screen. I do not get any blue screen error .

You will only get the blue screen error when it restarts on shutdown, instead of restarting occasionally as it has been doing, only then will it blue screen.

Or are you saying that it's still restarting with no error screen?

bigdonmc

I am saying that I get no error screen when it restarts itself. And I don't know if the problem is solved as it has shutdown normally the last three times I tried. Thank you for all your help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts