Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shut Down Question

559 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  raybro 
#1 ·
A small thing, but I'd appreciate any input about this. I'm running XP Home SP3.

When I go to shut down my laptop, the desktop fades to shades of gray (normal) and I get the small window in the middle of the screen with 4 buttons... Hibernate is shaded (turned Off), Standby is active along with Shut down and Restart. Does anyone know of a way to remove the Hibernate and Standby buttons from that window so that all I see is Shutdown and Restart.

If necessary, I'm comfortable in the Registry (where I'd expect to have to do this IF its doable).
\
Thanks... Raybro

#2 ·
#3 ·
Hello raybro see if anything here helps with what you want

XP Hibernate Option

Whenever you want to logoff, shut down or reboot your Windows XP machine you have only 3 choices
(1) Standby ONLY IF the ACPI/APM function is properly enabled BOTH in your motherboard's BIOS AND in WinXP!
(2) Restart
(3) Shutdown.

To properly enable Hibernation in WinXP:

Start button -> Control Panel -> Power Options -> Hibernate tab -> check Enable hibernate support box -> Apply/OK -> reboot.

NOTE: If the Hibernate tab is unavailable your computer does NOT support it!
For some reason Microsoft did NOT enable the 4th option:
(4) Hibernate, which should be available on power saving (ACPI) enabled PCs and laptops.
But you CAN bring it back: just hold the Shift key while the Shut down menu is displayed on your screen, and notice the Standby button being replaced by a new, fully functional Hibernate button, which can be clicked with the left button of your mouse.

If you release the Shift key, the Hibernate option will disappear once again, to be replaced by Standby.

I'm not sure if there is a way to show only Shutdown and Restart.

#4 ·
I've did a quick look at the links provided by both bingo24 and speed_hog. I've not found anything that clearly indicates a way to make those 2 bottons go away. I already have Hibernate disable in the Power Control Panel, but it doesn't make it go away, it just shades it so it's inactive. I've had a long day and am very tired. I'll look at the Registry links a little closer tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.. Raybro

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.