1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shut down

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Onsen, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Onsen

Onsen Thread Starter

Although I have shut down the comp properly, sometimes it say shut down was not done properly and a scan disk carried out. I am using a P4, Win98se and IE6. Also sometimes when I click shutdown, the comp just hang there. What's wrong?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Most likely it's due to a program that's acting badly. Do a spyware scan with adaware, then look at your startup programs. Use msconfig to remove startup programs you don't need. Also, you can shut down programs before shutting down the computer to try to find the culprit.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Onsen:

I agree. If you trim down your startup load as much as possible, your computer will run better and experience less problems. (y)

Click the link below and read the article on MSCONFIG.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

4. mobo

mobo

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I also recommend you do a Windows Update. Under Program there at 2 or 3 shutdown patches. These fix issues with general shutdown problems, IDE cache, network log off, WDM issue.

You should also disable your shutdown sound and disable any 'scan floppy on shutdown' option in your antivirus program. And as mentioned trim down your startup.

Here's a link to Adaware, Spybot and Hijackthis(which you can use to post your startup list here for a closer look). All these programs need to be updated before being run.

http://spywareinfo.com/downloads.php?cat=sp#det

And here's a link for a free online scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

This generally covers most intermittent shutdown issues.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice