Shut Down

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dukenbear

When i choose 'Shut down' from the start menu, my computer hangs at the 'Please Wait' screen. I dont know how to fix it.

have you defraged and scandisked? what kind of computer do you have? what are you running? 98? me? 2000? need more info...

Dukenbear
Welcome to TSG!
Hanging at shutdown could be caused by many things.
First I would try shutting down all programs running in background then try to shutdown.
You could have a program that is not accepting the shutdown command. Before shutdown attempt hit ctrl,alt,del list items on a piece of paper and end task on every item except explorer and systray. Then shutdown.
If that solves the problem then one of the programs in the list is your culprit and you will have to remove one at a time to find out which is causing it.
If it does not solve the problem then let us know what version of windows you have Win98,98se,ME ect and we will advise further.
Dave

Hi,

This applies to what Davey posted. Do you have any anti-virus software installed on your system, (ie-Norton, McAfee). It could be related to one of these applications. Try disabling auto-protect (if you have it running), then shut down.
Davey is correct in saying that it could be any number of things causing the problem. Try this website, to see if any of the suggestions help.

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdownz.htm

Good Luck:)

Do. Ctrl + Aly + Delete twice to shut down and reboot then try to shut down. It's just a glitch that happens accasionaly.

Codemaster,

No offense, but while it's true that occasionally a system can fail to shutdown properly, the very fact that Dukenbear has posted the problem here would indicate that this is a consistent problem on his/her machine, (not an isolated incident). It would be in Dukenbear's best interest to resolve this issue, not just workaround it.

Dukenbear

I would just like to thank everyone for giving me a suggestion, i really appreciate your help, this question was a classroom assignment, and you all helped a lot, thanks. Now i also know where to go if i have aome problems in the future. i will also refer others to this site.
THANX!!

Timmy
I am more than willing to help with your school assignments since learning is a good thing but please be up front with me as to the
request. How I phase answers and what I include and exclude during the initial contact would of been different if I knew this was a question for school. I would of provided a complete line of information instead of step by step posts.
Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online