Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutdown After Start Up

686 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  metallica5456 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have a computer that was custom built about 3 years ago.
It worked fine for quite a while, however now it shuts off without warning.

I can turn it on, but within the next minute to 3, it will shut off. Occasionally I can actually login.
It's been down and out for about a month now, I've just now found the time to sit down and really work on it. I have noted that each consecutive time I work on it the time between start up and shut off shortens.
The Disk percentage in task manager reads and stays ridiculously high the entire time.

Last check clocked in at 1 minute 24 seconds from login to unaided shut off.

On further inspection, I noticed earlier mention of a green wire that should be attached the PSU. I had the red and yellow, but the green was missing. I've now noticed it's unattached, inside the PSU. Could that be part of the issue?

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
OS - Win10
Cooling - Asetek LCLC
PSU - Raidmax 1000W 80 Plus Bronze
CPU - OEM AMD Fx-8320 3.5GHZ Eight Core 125W
Anything else needed I can supply.

Thank you very much for any and all suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely could be, not to mention that Raidmax PSU units are basically junk. First thing I would do is acquire a QUALITY PSU and test if it boots. If you acquire a known working PSU and still won't boot then you know it's a different piece of hardware and can move forward with diagnostics.

#4 ·
raidmax is a very very low quality power supply co' look here https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044
just read a few reviews
power supplies "usually" have 5 -6 year life i personally would never use that brand (even if it is a 1000w)
no mention of a video card???
Definitely could be, not to mention that Raidmax PSU units are basically junk. First thing I would do is acquire a QUALITY PSU and test if it boots. If you acquire a known working PSU and still won't boot then you know it's a different piece of hardware and can move forward with diagnostics.
Thank you both for your quick replies, I didn't realize the Raidmax had such bad reputations... Would either of you be able to suggest a better PSU?

#5 ·
If you're on a bit of a budget, go with a Corsair CX series or a Thermaltake Toughguard, I think it is.

If you want a QUALITY PSU, go with a Corsair RM/RMx model. They come with a 10 year warranty. I have personally used the Corsair CX-500W and the RMx 850W. Was satisfied with both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.