1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutdown blue screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by IvanHawk, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IvanHawk

IvanHawk Thread Starter

Hello,
    I've XP Home Media Center edition on my Dell 9100 PC.

During the last year I've been getting occasional blue screen on shutdown. It never causes an error or apparent problem on restart and I cannot predict when the blue screen will occur next.

Note: I use firefox instead of IE, because over a year ago for no apparent reason IE ceased to work and caused my PC in to a hard lock up. After all the reinstalls, etc, I just gave up and went over to firefox, but I lost microsoft updates in the process. These blue screens did not start during this same time period, but could be indirectly related...I do not know.

Excerpted error message info is pasted below; please help!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000034, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x806E6A16)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you

2. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

The error you posted is not 100% of the time Related to Drivers but I found 99.8% of the time it is a DRIVER. solution is delete one driver at a time then when u reboot M$ will replace the driver with the DEFAULT driver... and if your using any Beta drivers or unsigned drivers start with them first.

3. IvanHawk

IvanHawk Thread Starter

I've not installed any new drivers; at least that I'm aware of.

I presume we're talking about the basics: video, sound, network, etc.??

I do have an upgraded upgraded video and sound card in the machine (well, they were upgraded a several yrs ago).

Video is: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
    Video Driver is: 6.14.11.6906 from 11/2007.

Sound is: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    Sound Driver Version is 6.0.1.1370 from 3/2009.

I'll try an update first within windows to see if anything pops up. I'm afraid that if I uninstall the driver I'll lose the function I do have with the machine...

4. Snuffy1

Snuffy1

Well NVidia is one of the worse devices for having driver problems... yes, I also have NVidia, I stopped using SB ages ago... but sometimes it might be due to not upgrading drivers... just because you delete the driver you will not loose function. If you have a corrupt driver then you need to DELETE the driver, (which is in memory) until you reboot.... it then reloads the driver from a non corrupt source... ur saying your video is almost 4 yrs old... and your sound is 3 yrs old. then Im sure you also do not have all the updates which you should have for Windows XP actually is not supported unless you have SP3. I highly recommend you totally update your system.

5. IvanHawk

IvanHawk Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I do have SP3 on XP. I gave your suggestions a whirl and used Driver Detective to help me upgrade drivers on Video and sound...both were available.

Next step is to let time pass and see if blue screen comes back...it was never consistent, unless you count that i was consistently annoyed.. :)

thank you again (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice