Shutdown but no Poweroff

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wahlroot

Shutdown but no Poweroff

Since I bought this computer every Shutdown had a Poweroff, till the last 2 days. If I push the button on the computer I get a Poweroff instead of a Shutdown, Poweroff. I had made 3 Partitions with Partition Magic. 98SE on the first, XP on the second, and misc on the third. It worked fine. It does Automaticaly go in to sleep mode. Shutdown, Poweroff works in 98SE, but not in XP. Even in Safe Mode. I installed the KB826939 update, then uninstalled, with no change. I added another User Account, which I use. Removed all users except Administrater, and it did not help. Put back one user as Administer. Opened Device Manager, and Clicked the plus next to Computer. It shows 2.
1- Advanced Configuration And Power Interface (ACPI) PC.
2- Standard PC.
I only have 1 Computer. This not fatal, but I liked it the other way.

If your computer does not turn off the power when doing a shutdown,you may need to edit the registry.

Start Regedit
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Edit the key PowerOffActive and give it a value of 1
You can do the same in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Sorry I misread your post(I think),are you asking what happened to shutdown?

wahlroot

No, Iam asking about what happened to Shutoff, after Shutdown. Shutdown still works, but no automatic Shutoff. Maybe this has something to do with the 2 Computers shown in Device Manager. I would not know what to do about that.

wahlroot

Iwent into BIOS. Under Storage, Security, and Advanced, I did not find APM. This is a Compaq 7478 computer. I went back to 98SE, Device Manager, and under System, I found:
ACPI Power Button
ACPI System Button
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS
System Board Extension For ACPI (Resource Conflict (Code 15))
These are not there in XP. Do not know if this can be of any help, because I do not know what they do.

dai

have a look under power it is usually under the acpi or under advanced p/management so you are in the right section but you might have to click on something to bring it up

crjdriver

I am having problems understanding your post. Do you have a dual boot computer that shuts down ok in win9x and does not shutdown in xp? Did it ever shutdown correctly in xp? Are you getting the message that “It is safe to shutdown your computer” when you want to shutdown in xp?

Windows xp and win2k have different requirements of the bios for using acpi. While win9x often works fine with the existing bios; xp or win2k often does not and requires an update to work correctly. If you are getting the message I posted above, it is an easy fix. Post back with type of mb and model or if a store bought computer the make and model.

wahlroot

This is a Compaq Model 7478, That is about 4 years old. Dual Boot that does Shutdown and auto Poweroff in 98SE. After installing XP it also did Shutdown and auto Poweroff. Lately it does Shutdown to It Is Now Safe To Shutoff, in XP. It also now does immediatly Poweroff when I press the button on the front of the computer. It originally did Shutdown and auto Poweroff when the button was pressed in both 98SE and XP.

crjdriver

Ok, it seems that you have a problem with acpi. If you have installed any new hardware or software, you might try uninstalling it first before you do the procedure below.

1st method of trying to fix the problem; enter your bios and make sure you have acpi enabled. Now go to device manager and delete the “Standard PC” device under computer. Restart the system and see if it just shows the acpi compliant computer in device manager.

If that does not work for you, go to device manager and click view>show hidden devices see if it shows NT Legacy APM. By default this is disabled during an install [it is installed if the bios is not acpi compliant] enable the device and restart. It should now shutdown correctly.

wahlroot

There is no acpi in the BIOS. There is no way to delete "Standard PC" in device manager. The acpi compliant computer in device manager can be deleted. I tried this in safe mode also. I think maybe "Standard" is the one that is in use, and cannot be deleted while in use. I do not know how to change to the other one, if that is possible. There is no NT Legacy APM in device manager.

crjdriver

It sounds like you have a bios that is not up to xp's acpi standard. When you checked device manager, you did have it show hidden devices correct?

If it is not there, you will have to install it if you want the computer to shutdown the way it is supposed to. Installing NT Legacy APM is done from control panel>add / remove hardware. I am not on an xp computer at the moment, so this is from memory. You want to add or troubleshoot a device after it is done searching, it will show a list of devices. The first line should be add a device; click that and then choose NT Legacy from the menu.

crjdriver

One other thought, you have checked in control panel>power options that the correct power scheme is loaded correct?

wahlroot

Tried to install NT apm/Legacy Interface node. I got:
Software for this device is now installed, but may not work correctly. Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code37). It is still not in Device Manager. Tried the XP and 98SE CD's. No driver, no help.
98SE power schemes has; System Standby, Turn Off Monitor, and Turn Off Hard Disks. Advanced has; When I press the power button on my computer: Shutdown (which means Shutdown and Poweroff), and Standby.
XP only has Turn Off Monitor, and Turn Off Hard Disks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online