Shutdown but no Poweroff

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

crjdriver

If it is installed, it should show in device manager.
Go to device manager click view and be sure there is a checkmark in the "show hidden devices" in the drop down menu.

NT Legacy APM is a hidden device and will not show unless you have told device manager to show it to you.

wahlroot

Sorry about that, I forgot about hidden devices. NT Apm/Legacy Support is in Device Manager. Under that is NT Apm/Legacy Interface Node, but it has the "!" in yellow on the icon. It says Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code37). Driver is NtApm.sys.

wahlroot

I tried most of the above and nothing worked. Did not do CMOS changes, because I do not want to take chances, besides it works in 98SE, and I think the same CMOS is used in both operating systems. Also did not do anything with the HAL, whatever that is. Do not know how to change that, and to what.

wahlroot

I did this registry change before, and it has not worked. I have 2 computers shown in device manager.
1- Advanced Configuration And Power Interface (ACPI) PC.
2- Standard PC.
Cannot uninstall #2, because it is in use. Since it seems I am getting nowhere, maybe the next thing is uninstalling #1. Could it hurt?

crjdriver

You are correct in that the same bios / cmos is used in each os; however xp [and win2k] have higher requirements than win9x. While win9x has a rudimentary version of acpi, xp and win2k have a more advanced version [that will actually share resources very well]

Have you checked the mgf’s site for a bios update that addresses shutdown problems in xp / win2k? If there is one, then you can update the bios and I would do a repair install of xp making sure that you specify the acpi hal. To specify a hal, hit the F5 key when setup tells you to hit F6 to load scsi / raid driver. This will bring up a menu that allows you to choose what hal you want to load.

wahlroot

This is a Compaq and they do not list a BIOS upgrade. The last time I tried to do an XP repair it started and would hang at the same place over and over again. I had to blow XP away and reinstall it. Takes about 2 weeks to reinstall my applications and everything else. I do not remember this F5 and F6 business from previous times. Is there someway I can add this special HAL to what I already have.

crjdriver

You may be able to change the hal after the install, however it generally results in an unstable system. I do not recommend doing this.

I have the same problem with my computer, it takes two attempts to shutdown...it has got to be an XP bug. I will try some of the methods posted on here and see if it gets corrected.

Well,I personally used the one in my post on a friends computer exactly 1 week ago today and it worked like a charm,I have also suggested it to another friend of mine day before yesterday,and guess what,...it worked!

wahlroot

Well, I tried to reinstall XP as an update, and it got into the start and reboot over, And over, and over again. Erased XP and reinstalled. Now I get Shutdown and Automatic Shutoff. Will spend the next few days reinstalling everything. Will check, Shutdown and Shutoff, after each reinstall to see if it changes again. Thanks to everyone.

wahlroot said:
If I push the button on the computer I get a Poweroff instead of a Shutdown, Poweroff.
In control panel - power options - advanced, under "power buttons", what is it set as?

wahlroot

When it was not working, I did not have the power button. After XP reinstall, it is there, and is set to Shutdown.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online