1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutdown error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stormtracker, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stormtracker

Stormtracker Thread Starter

hi guys, my computer will not turn off when i shutdown it restarts automatically. does anyone know what my problem could be

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. If you start in safe mode, will it shutdown normally?

3. Stormtracker

forgive me if sound stupid, but i am fairly new to computing. how do i start in safe mode. thanks for advice

4. ~Candy~

Tap the F8 key while restarting....then choose safe mode.

5. Stormtracker

it does nothing when i tap f8 . seems to be freezing at startup screen. i have to hold the powerswitch for 5 seconds before it shuts down. it then starts normally if i do nothing. also when i shutdown, it wants to install updates(1 0f 96)! , but restarts even before the first update is installed.

6. ~Candy~

You need to hit the F8 key sooner.

7. Stormtracker

I have a slideshow made by someone else, complete with music and transitions. this person now wants me to make a data disc of this slideshow, so that he can print the pictures. obviously, i have to convert to jpeg. is it possible to do this. the extension shows DAT.
    Thanks for any help.

8. ~Candy~

Um, that has nothing to do with this thread :confused: Did you solve this problem? You should start another thread for that problem as different people assist with that area.

9. Stormtracker

sorry, i'm still new to this. no, i still shut the computer down manually. thanks for the interest.

10. ~Candy~

Take a look to see what is running at startup, via start, run, msconfig, startup tab.

Or if you can, see the very first thread in the malware removal forum, and follow the instructions on how to download, install, run and post a hijack this log. Post the log BACK to this thread though.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice