shutdown error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stormtracker

hi guys, my computer will not turn off when i shutdown it restarts automatically. does anyone know what my problem could be

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. If you start in safe mode, will it shutdown normally?

Stormtracker

forgive me if sound stupid, but i am fairly new to computing. how do i start in safe mode. thanks for advice

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Tap the F8 key while restarting....then choose safe mode.

Stormtracker

it does nothing when i tap f8 . seems to be freezing at startup screen. i have to hold the powerswitch for 5 seconds before it shuts down. it then starts normally if i do nothing. also when i shutdown, it wants to install updates(1 0f 96)! , but restarts even before the first update is installed.

Stormtracker

I have a slideshow made by someone else, complete with music and transitions. this person now wants me to make a data disc of this slideshow, so that he can print the pictures. obviously, i have to convert to jpeg. is it possible to do this. the extension shows DAT.
Thanks for any help.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Um, that has nothing to do with this thread :confused: Did you solve this problem? You should start another thread for that problem as different people assist with that area.

Stormtracker

sorry, i'm still new to this. no, i still shut the computer down manually. thanks for the interest.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Take a look to see what is running at startup, via start, run, msconfig, startup tab.

Or if you can, see the very first thread in the malware removal forum, and follow the instructions on how to download, install, run and post a hijack this log. Post the log BACK to this thread though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online