1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown Event Tracking (XP, Not Server 2003)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by snorkythewea, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snorkythewea

snorkythewea Thread Starter

Server 2003 has a Shutdown Event Tracker that requires that you "best describe why you want to shutdown the computer". It is on by default, but can be turned off using Group Policy.

Wonderful!

Somewhere along the way, one (and only one) of my XP machines (SP2 + all updates) acquired that same "feature". The Group Policy trick mentioned above has no relevance in XP, so I can't stop this event tracker that way.

Among other things, it makes a remote shutdown impossible (unless I use an RPC terminal). Besides, it's a pain to have to type in a reason (usually "Windows F%#*ed up again") when all I want to do is to shutdown or reboot.

If it runs as a service, I can't find it in either "Services and Applications" or in "Sysinternals Process Explorer"

And another thing!!! I can't find the logged events in the Event Viewer for Application, Security, or System.

If I could find it, I'd drive a stake through its heart. How do I kill the beast?

To prove that I've taken my meds today, here's a screen dump:

[​IMG]

Askme nicely and I might explain how I got a screen dump of an XP computer part way into shutdown. :D

Thanks in advance.

2. cgesicki

cgesicki

3. snorkytheweasel

snorkytheweasel

Dude, you rock! (y)

I asked colleagues about the problem, and they thought I was losing it - everyone assumed that the event tracking was for Server 2003 . A friend's quick Google didn't find anything that disproved that theory.

I had spent the last few days mopping up (6000 users) after after Microsoft's last critical update - the one that trashed Norton, which in turn trashed roaming profiles. When the event tracking started suddenly and inexplicably, I went to TechNet. Bad idea. Never has there been a knowledge base so huge and so unusable.

It never occurred to me to use the regular MS KB - I was too busy cursing Microsoft...

Those articles you suggested nailed it.

4. cgesicki

cgesicki

not a problem I'm glad things worked out for you

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!