1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown on boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Dougx789, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Hi, my mates laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6 1210sa. HDD was pretty much full (about 1GB left out of 220GB) So we deleted a few games, ran ccleaner.. got it to about 40GB free. He was also wanted the fan cleaned so we did that. Booted up and it lasted about 30 sec. then shutdown. Booted in safe mode ran fine. Rebooted normal and the fan goes very loud and it shuts down around the time of showing the desktop (sometimes before, sometimes after). Rebooted in safe mode and it runs fine.
    Went to check system recovery and it says "no restore points have been created" my friend has used system restore before.
    Also noticed there is now 80GB free on his HDD...

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

HP pavilion DV6 1210sa, vista 32bit service pack 2 directx 11, 3GB ram, 220GB HDD, AMD Athlon(tm) Dual-core QL65, motherboard - Quanta 3060, ATI mobility radeon HD 4500/5100 series

2. dai

dai

you need to keep 20% free space on the hard drive or you are liable to lose access to it

check your temperatures

check for any yellow alongside of anything in the device manager

check system restore is turned on

3. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

Yeah that's why the moment I saw it I made him uninstall a load of games... There was about 40GB free after which is about 20% free space. The only thing with a yellow mark next to was IR devices which shouldn't make a difference (I disabled it anyway, he has no controller or anything else which would require it). He tells me system restore was on before, now it says there's no restore points. If I turn it back on will it find previously made restore points?

Any idea where the extra space there now is has come from? Could it be just completion of uninstalls (that's a lot of memory).

Do you know any programs to check temp which will run in safe mode?

Thanks for your reply

4. dai

dai

no it will not find the restore points

empty the recycle bin and defrag

no but you can get the cpu temp from the bios when you are booting up

5. Dougx789

Dougx789 Thread Starter

I can't find any temperature info in the bios..

6. dai

dai

if you have a vista disk run

sfc /scannow

does the laptop offer a non destructive repair install of the op. system

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!