1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown Problem: "This Program is not Responding"

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Occasionally, I will go through the Shutdown procedure and, not wanting to wait the time it takes to be sure it actually shuts down, I will walk away only to find it still on hours later with a message on the screen "This Program is not Responding", with an available "End Now" button.

Sometimes, it is more than just one program. I'll click on the End Now button and another will pop up within a fraction of a second or a few seconds with the same message.

Is there a utility that will shut down Windows and/or give an end-now answer to these monolog boxes?

The programs that are giving me these problems are too valuable to my work and too valuable to change--and in some cases cannot be replaced. All are designed for Windows 2000 or later and the problem happens on Windows 2000, Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro on multiple desktop machines and my new Compaq laptop.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Alex Ethridge

I don't think spyware/adware/viruses are factors here.

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I find that this occurs only when insufficient time in given between closing applications and shutting down.

Usually a single press of the power button instigates an orderly shutdown however, and seems to avoid the above.

6. Alex Ethridge

I used to be able to click Start> Shutdown and no matter what programs were still running, they would be shut down orderly and then the computer would reboot or shut down as it should.

I want it to work that way again. I don't want to have to shut down every program. It's time-consuming.

Thanks Mike, I'll try your suggestion.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!