1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tcube, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tcube

tcube Thread Starter

Hi!
    I’ve been having this problem for a couple of months. My computer stalls at the shutdown process. It happens only if I’m connected to the Internet. The shutdown process stops at showing the message “Windows is shutting down”. The hard drive also shuts down (I think) as the LED stops blinking. Only the power LED on the case remains on. The processor fan also remains running. I then directly turn off from the main power line.

I have an Intex PCI LAN card. I went through its manual and found out that it supports something called ‘wake on LAN’ function. Is the problem due to that? I use Windows XP Service pack 2 as my OS.

I went through the posts in this forum, but couldn’t find anything. Sorry if this query is repeated!

2. golferbob

golferbob

3. tcube

tcube Thread Starter

Thank you golferbob for the help. I went through the links you provided. I think it is a hardware compability issue. As I said before, the computer shuts down properly if the network is disabled. So are there any dos commands which would let me disable the network.

4. rka0

rka0 Banned

5. SirMille

SirMille

Most LAN cards support 'wake on LAN'

Even if this option is enabled it shouldn't prevent you from cleanly shutting down.

Have you checked the event log (My computer right-click Manage) to see if anything is being written to the logs?

6. tcube

tcube Thread Starter

Nothing is being written in the error logs.
    I thought that 'wake on LAN' means that the computer stays 'awake' if it is connected to the LAN. I even reinstalled XP due to this problem. Is there any way I can solve this??!!

7. www.pc-repair.ie

www.pc-repair.ie

Wake on lan is a network feature that permits the nic to power you computer on,
    I don't think the computer stays powered on at all times.

I don't think I know a single person who uses WOL

8. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

You could just get a new card, thats what i had to do...there cheap so its not much of a lose

9. tcube

tcube Thread Starter

^^That seems to be the only solution :mad:. I now directly switch off the computer from the mains. Everything, except the processor fan seem to shutdown. Please tell me whether this is safe??!

10. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

it shouldnt do any harm to your computer itself except maybe your cooling fan if you let it stay running constantly. But multiple "unsafe" shutdowns (unplugging of the computer while its running) can destroy the OS and fragment the hard drive data over a long period of time.

11. tcube

tcube Thread Starter

Well then I suppose I'd have to buy a new LAN card. Thanx everyone for answering to this query :) .

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice