Shutdown problems...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nahaz13

Whenever I tell my computer to shutdown, it restarts. I can shut it off by holding down the power button for a few seconds, but that's the only way. I have tried updating the BIOS, and I even reinstalled Windows a while back, but it still happens. Kind of a strange problem, but just wondered if you guys had any ideas.

Good Morning Nahaz, this kind of problem may be caused by the modem ring in or other similar settings in BIOS. read your M/B manual and check that all the ring in type settings are set to disabled. There may also be a similar network setting.
These settings are used so that the machine can be switched on remotely from a phone call via a modem or a network call etc..
Sometimes the thing erroneously switches on as if by magic, often at odd times.
A second possibility is if one of the add-in PCI cards has some odd problem, sometimes carefully removing them (apart from the video) will have effect.
Of course it may just be some esoteric entity playing with you! (LOL)
Is the machine operating properly apart from that?
Cheers, qldit.

nahaz13

It's Windows XP Pro, and that seems to be the only problem with it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out when I get home tonight and let you know.

Good Morning nahaz, well done, I have no idea why those settings should not be grouped as a whole to be selected to disabled in BIOS.
They only apply to a couple of percent of users and rarely are used by home PC owners. They are more a nuisance than anything.
PME is similar to WOL and whenever I have seen those terms I always relate to network wakeup. (Don't tell anyone but I still don't know what the actual terms mean)

I suspect PME is Power Management Event which virtually equates to Wake On Lan or something like that. I class that stuff as useless information!
Others might have better info, I have problems remembering stuff. LOL.

Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online