1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrcoons, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

First let me start off by saying I did search the boards but did not see this exact same situation anywhere. If I missed it I'm sorry.

OK. I'm on day 3 with my new Dimension 8300 and have one problem (some questions but those'll go in a separate posting). When I shut down I get all the usual screens from XP (saving settings, closing the network and shutting down Windows) and then the monitor will go blank. But the PC never shuts down. The fans continue to run, the mouse is still powered up and the on/off switch is still lit up. I've wait up to an hour and nothing more ever happens. I then turn it off manually and when I boot it back up no problems appear.

I have all the XP security fixes applied, I've virus scanned, spyware scanned and found nothing. Now as near as I can tell this started happening on day 2. Day 2 I copied a fair amount of data from my laptop to the 8300 using my local network. I also installed my firewall, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. My first thought is that this software must be the culpret so I downloaded the latest patches from Roxio but no change occured.

I checked the 8300's power management settings to my wifes 8200 and see no difference.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

This thread can be closed and marked resolved. The problem was caused by my Logitech mouse. I downloaded the current version of MouseWare and that resolved the problem.

3. stars1234

stars1234

Have you tried rt clicking on the desktop, properties, to get into the Display Settings, then choose Screen Saver|Power?
    There are several differnet configurations for shuting down, monitor, computer, putting things into standby, etc.

You can also get to the Display Settings from Display on the control panel.

You can also check the BIOS, --press del or f1 when the system first comes on and look through it for the power settings. Something may be set to put the computer into standby, while shutting down the monitor.

In fact the more I think about it, it does sound like the system is going into "standby." That will turn off the monitor but not power down the system.

Also, don't forget if you have a regular ATX board you most likely will have to hold the power button "in" for 6 seconds, before the system will shut down, if you want to do it manually.

But check out the "standby" settings in Display in the CP & the power settings in the BIOS.

Let me know if any of that helps.

Bob

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice