1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Shutdown Screen screwed up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by UAPilot1960, Nov 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UAPilot1960

UAPilot1960 Thread Starter

Hi,
    On my laptop whenever I shutdown Win98SE, I get a rectangle filled with verticle lines instead of the ususal text message that tells me in bold orange letters that it is safe to shutdown my computer. I'm not actually sure if it is the text screeen or the windows sky/cloud screen that is not displaying.

Is there a BPM file that is missing or corrupted?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It is not likely this is caused by corruption of the shut down screen itself. Normally Windows should not stop on the "It is now safe..." screen at all. When it does it is usually a problem with Advanced Power Management. It is probably the "Windows is shutting down" screen that is not displaying here, and a hang is occuring for some reason.

Do you have to manually power off, and does scandisk run on restart? If scandisk is not running, then Windows has essentially completed its shut down and the hang is occuring at the BIOS level.

Did the problem just begin in the last 4 days? (And has anything new been installed?). We could try restoring a prior registry if that is the case.

Otherwise, I would troubleshoot it by applying the WinSE shut down supplement patch (if that has not already been done) and following the procedures suggested here:

http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnsez.htm

3. UAPilot1960

UAPilot1960 Thread Starter

The laptop shuts down just fine. It's just an annoying problem with the display not showing the normal "sky and clouds" screen that says windows is shutting down. Otherwise everything works ok....and as we all know, it is better to look good than be good :)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The "Windows is Shutting Down" screen is logow.sys in the Windows directory. You can copy it some place else, change the name to logow.bmp and open it in MSPaint to see it. It can be replaced using the System File Checker.

The "It is now safe to turn off..." screen is the logos.sys file.

These can be customized if you wish.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-011

Glad you're not having an actual shut down problem :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice