1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutdown/startup failure

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by anon-, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

Watching screen during boot up - black screen (Bois loading) Gateway logo -
    black screen - Windows introductory screen with walking dots indicating time
    passage -- black screen -- freeze -- windows desktop.

Why the freeze.

Looking at event viewer the following error are displayed for shutdown (nothing on startup because windows hasn't launched. both of these are userenv errors.

Error 1 Windows cannot upload your classes registry file. It is still in use...

Error 2 Windows saved user xxx\owner registry while an application or service was still using the registry...

Sometimes these error occur together error 1 followed by error 2 in a few seconds. Sometimes error 2 occurs alone.

Other times userenv indicates a service is in use.

BTW define 'service' for me.

How do I fix these errors to prevent the freeze during startup?

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Services are a set of Windows components which load each time you boot or when you need them. You can view them by typing services.msc<enter> in a run box.
    The UserENV error is very common and can be ignored. The classes registry error; though, is not.
    On the other hand, slow boots are most often caused by invalid network structure (i.e it used to access a network share or a server which is not there anymore) or by a printer finder utility which is very common with "wireless" printers.
    How long does the pause last before the desktop appears?

3. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

System is not wireless.

Stand alone computer connected to router plus modem to access the web.

Didn't use printers near shutdown. tho printers - one connected to computer via router (not on at or near shutdown), one hardwired to computer (always on.)

Time delay on startup almost exactly two minutes

Error on shutdown last night are the two mentioned above.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You don't have to use the printer for it to cause issues. The drivers for the printer try to find it every time you boot and I have seen HP's cause a 20 minute delay.
    What is the make and model of both printers?

5. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

The networked one (has to be shutdown like the computer, not just switching the power off) is an HP Photosmart C6180 all-in-one. Yes I have seen dialog boxes about the printer driver when the printer is urned off. Since this one has to be 'shutdown' instead of power switched off - any way to prevent the infrequent messages? Even if I have been using this one, I have to turn it off with it's power switch so it can go through it's own shutdown. If I 'pull the plug', I get an error next time I turn it on, so it has to be off at computer shutdown.

The hardwired one is an HP Laserjet 4p, can be switched on/off manually by 'pulling the plug.' It's left on all the time. I assume this one shouldn't be causing a problem.

Isn't the startup delay caused by the registry errors at shutdown?

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

All of the networked printers have a TCP/IP finder to locate the printer every time you boot and to close the connection when you shut down. Whenever the power goes out on the router, it hands out new ip addresses based upon the order of the devices connecting which means they almost always move to a different ip address. In short, the printer won't work without that finder section unless you set it to a fixed ip address (which is what I always do).
    In older versions of the HP software, they did a very poor job and there is a good chance it is your problem.
    Here is the link to your printer: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=1153494&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228&sw_lang=
    They have several versions of a 2009 release of the software. Did you use the CD, or did you download and install the latest version?

7. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

How do I set a fixed IP address for the printer finder? The router has a fixed address.

There are other settings I want to change in the printer (make it use black cartridge only (not added cyan.)

Can't find any way to communicate directly with it.

How does making changes in the digital imaging monitor make changes within the printer?

Is this info you are talking about going to cure the registry error shown in the event viewer?

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

To set the printer to a fixed ip, you get the printers ip address (look in the manual and print the configuration report), then go to it in your browser (i.e. http://192.168.1.4) The specific page and how to set it is also in the manuals section of the link I gave you before. I like to set the printers to 192.168.150, .151, etc.
    Changing to use black only is usually in the printer properties section in Printers and Faxes.
    You should also go to that links section for Software and Downloads to see if there is a newer version than you are running!
    As I said, the USERENV error I see on most of the systems I work on and, yes, getting the new HP software and setting the printer to a fixed ip could easilly fix the CLASSES error.

9. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

I did that when I installed the printer in order for it to 'see' the router.

I have the latest software for the printer - it is hardwired (ROM) into the printer and have the latest software for the digital imaging monitor - there were NO newer version after I bought the printer.

Everything suggested had already been done before the problem started and no new versions have been released.

So what else to do?

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

What O/S are you running? (XP, Vista, 7, is it x64)

11. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

Very early part of post stated: xp - service pack 3 x32

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

So you are running version 7.0.2 of the HP software from 2009?

13. anon-

anon- Thread Starter

Imaging monitor version 7.0.128

Just checked and message from HP "no new updates are available."

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1050512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice