1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutdown/turnoff

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deanvet, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deanvet

deanvet Thread Starter

My XP Pro computer is about 2 years old. Up until about 4 months ago, "turnoff" would shutdown and then turnoff the computer. Then until recently, "turnoff" would shut down to a window that said "It is now safe to turn off your computer" but I had to turn off the computer manually by pressing the power button and holding it for 5 seconds. Recently, "turnoff" now stops at the window "windows is shutting down" and I get an audible "click" sound from the computer but I must still manually turn it off. I have been unable to find any solution that restores the original setup. I have made no significant changes to software or hardware. I am in the Colorado mountains with a very slow on line connection speed with less than 10k via modem and I use IE & OE 7. This combination results in frequent phone line cutoffs and IE or OE problems and thus frequent reboots. Local techs have been unable to solve any of these problems and I don't know if they would effect shutdown. I have plenty of HD space & 512 Ram.

2. Firah

Firah

deanvet,

In BIOS, is 'PM controlled by APM' enabled? Though I can't see how it could have changed suddenly.

3. nole57

nole57

how does it act in safe mode?

4. Firah

Firah

This article might be of help:
    HERE

'Computer doesnÂ’t power down when users shut down'

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice