Shutdown will not Shutdown

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sarge

Hello everyone. I have this problem I cant seem to get fixed. Everytime I attempt to shut down my comp, windows goes to the shutdown screen and I get the "Windows is Shutting Down" prompt but it never actually shuts down. My comp stays right there at that screen. Can any1 help?

Sarge-Be sure and try the second one on the list. It sounds crazy but my sound event for shutdown was damaged and I deselected it and everything was fine.

After you sort out your problem you want to use this option. I have been using three of the suggestions for over a year with no problems.

Shutting Down with an Icon
How to shutdown your computer from a desktop icon. Note: This procedure does not work with Windows NT or 95.

Step 1. Right-click on your desktop for context window and select New; then click on Shortcut.

Step 2. Type the following line in the Command line space:
To Shut Down:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 1

To Log Off:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 0

To Restart:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32,SHExitWindowsEx 2
Note: two spaces in the command lines: The first between EXE and shell32, and the second between Ex and the numeral.

Step 3. Click on Next and type Shutdown, in place of Rundll.

Step 4. Click on Finish and an Icon will appear on the desktop labeled Shutdown.

Step 5. Double click on this Icon to shutdown your computer.
=======================================================================
If you just want to restart Windows use this:

For the Windows "Restart!" (warm reboot) shortcut (all Windows 95/98 releases):
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USER.EXE,ExitWindowsExec
Note that you canNOT use RUNDLL32.EXE for this last command with Win98/98 SE because the GUI does NOT support this 32-bit DLL API redirect from the command line, and after all USER.EXE is a "plain" 16-bit executable. :(

For the Windows complete (cold) "Reboot!" shortcut (Windows 98/98 SE only):
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online