shutdowns when trying to install stuff

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dunstan

OK, here's an odd one for you...I'm trying to install a SB16 PCI card, and when I try to install the drivers, my machine shuts down and reboots when it detects the card. I've tried off the provided CD and downloading off of the website, but no luck.

This happened a few times when I was installing Windows 98, I had ot reboot a few times near the end when it was changing system settings. The sound card is the last thing I have to install on here, so if someone could give me an idea of what's going on here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Styxx

Banned
It sounds as though you've not correctly disabled the on-board video as per the installation instructions berfore the Add-in card installation. Do you have on-board video?

If you do have on-board video, now you've got to ensure the vid card's software is uninstalled in the Add/Remove Programs control panel and, ensure there are no entries for the add-in card in SafeMode Device Manager. In other words you've got to make it work like it did before the add-in, correctly of course. Then start the installation over.

Restart after every step you take in Device Manager.

Do you have other PCI cards in your computer? Try to install only with video card and sound card, install the drivers (chipset driver if necessary first) and then put in the other cards.

Dunstan

Originally posted by Styxx:
It sounds as though you've not correctly disabled the on-board video as per the installation instructions berfore the Add-in card installation. Do you have on-board video?

If you do have on-board video, now you've got to ensure the vid card's software is uninstalled in the Add/Remove Programs control panel and, ensure there are no entries for the add-in card in SafeMode Device Manager. In other words you've got to make it work like it did before the add-in, correctly of course. Then start the installation over.

Restart after every step you take in Device Manager.
No, I don' have on-board video, but I do have on-board audio. Does the above advice apply to sound cards too?

Styxx

Banned
No, I don' have on-board video, but I do have on-board audio. Does the above advice apply to sound cards too?
Yes the advice applies to add-in Audio cards too, if you have an Add-in Audio card that you think might be malfunctioning but an add-in audio card would be unrelated to your video display issue you orginally posted about here.

Am I missing something here? A SB16 PCI card is an audio (sound) card. You need to disable the "onboard" sound in the BIOS before installing the SB16 sound card.:p

Dunstan

Yeah, SB=SoundBlaster. I should have been a bit clearer on that...

Originally posted by kilowatt1:
Am I missing something here? A SB16 PCI card is an audio (sound) card. You need to disable the "onboard" sound in the BIOS before installing the SB16 sound card.:p
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online