1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutting down computer not from the start up menu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by concerned, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. concerned

concerned Thread Starter

I have to stop and start my computer not from the start up menu but by turning the switch on the surge protector off and on because the button on the front of my computer tower is jammed and I have tried fixing it but it is completely stuck. If I turn the computer off from the start off menu, I can't restart it unless I take the computer tower apart remove the side wall and pop the front wall loose and then push the start button out from the inside. I have tried to put it into place but it does not work to shut it down. It is like this because it was very delicate and it had to be tapped very lightly or it would get stuck and I had to open the tower, but if tapped delicately it was fine. My boyfriend was using my computer and forgot to tap the button delicately the button did not work, so he took a screwdriver and tried to fix the button from out side of the tower and ended up completely breaking the button so not it is not fixable the old way. We there fore have been stopping and starting the computer by turning the switch on the surgeprotector off and on. Is this damaging for the computer to keep doing this. We sometimes have the computer on now for days before turning it off cause I worry about shutting it off and on via the surge protector switch. I have a gateway computer so would have to ship the tower out to get a new start button put on the tower and don't like the thought of doing this. Once a Gateway tech guy told me that starting and stopping the computer not from the start up menu is fine that it won't hurt the computer, but our tech guy at work said that eventually it could be very harmful. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

That will eventually lead to problems. Are you at least stopping the computer by the start button on the screen? It sounds to me like you are just "pulling the plug" from the desktop. If you are this is going to cause hard drive problems. Getting the button fixed will be a lot cheaper than having to replace the hard drive and losing the data that is on it too.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

This is EXTREMELY bad for the system if not using the Start Menu/Shutdown options. This does NOT give the OS time to save data, unload memory, etc. before it goes completely off. You are lucky not to be getting BSODs everytime you startup. Go to Radio Shack or a similar electronics part supplier and see if you can find a replacement switch(or one that will work) or take it to a local computer shop and let them deal with it. If your Gateway is 3 years old or older and you can afford it(Best Buy has complete systems for less than $800), replace your system as it's outdated anyway.

4. K7M

K7M

I broke the power switch on one of my towers, swapped it with the leads with the reset switch now the reset switch is the on/off. Reset switch does nothing. That'es a possibility if you have a reset switch in your Gateway.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194567