1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

shutting down windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cyber1958, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyber1958

cyber1958 Thread Starter

just finished installing a 20 gb internal harddrive. it was piggy backed to the cd rom in order to allow the primary harddrive its optimal performance the problem is that in shutting down the system the "it is safe to turn off your computer" message does not appear. is this due to the fact that the 20 gb is still on? (powerwise). normally the primary drive would shutdown and the message would appear. kindly advise

thank you

2. columbo

columbo

Hi, Welcome to TSG.

So does the screen freeze on "shutting down windows 98"? Or does the system actually power down, without telling you that it is "now safe to shutdown"?

I imagine that it's freezing on the "Shutting down Windows 98" screen. Presuming this is the case, go to this link and follow the steps listed to help determine what the problem is.

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdownz.htm

Shutdown problems could be a number of different things. I usually find that it has to do with Anti-Virus software, but thats just been my experience.

Good Luck,

Columbo:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice